Beacon

kevbone

While I was sitting on the notch belaying my nephew up I noticed the falcon was sitting on top of the Norseman's Head. I took a picture of it but my camera is small and does not have good zoom capabilities. I will try to upload in a while. Super cool I was able to watch the bird for a while, while it watched me.

all you can handle Bill, photo of Blownout below!

Me and Plaid and PDX Rick did a climb at Area 51 called Rocketman on Saturday. It has this final finishing bulge that is super sharp and painful and burly, not that fun but somewhat wild with a crazy finishing arete that is total choss. I am so thankful for Beacon Rocks rock, the stuff may be somewhat slick but its not that painful.

Beacon_Rock_July_09_061.JPG

Another enjoyable day of climbing. Sure had a blast climbing with ya Ivan. We got Crusin Warriors done and I even got to climb the 5th pitch. Sooooo Awesome. That last move is one of the coolest laybacks ever. That is if you do it left. I saw that it could be done right if I was willing to stem way out there. Soloed from the notch and ran down to the bottom for some hang out time with the crew. LOVE BEACON!!!!

There were some folks from Tacoma traveling through. I suggested that they do Rhythm Method. They said that it was perfect for what they had in mind.

Beacon Rock is definitely a jewel. So many great days out there.

One of the highlights was my wedding day at the summit.

I was reminded of it today. My wife didn't realize she wasn't only marrying me, but she was marrying the rock too!

Wedding_Beacon_Rock.jpg

Edited by Plaidman

Yep that's one of the main hunting perches. There are two fledges which have been getting trained by their parents - they're the loud ones. They should be getting run off by the parents any time now I would think.

We should bolt a 5 foot wooden owl on top of the Norseman head. The birds would live elsewhere.

An owl decoy was already tried - apparently it only spooked some climbers at dusk.

• 4 weeks later...

here's a first for me from y-day: saw a tree squirrel leap off that big tree half way up wrong gull, then proceed to free solo up the vertical crack, jamming and liebacking on the knifeblade crack for 10 feet before boldy launching onto the face up to where all the blackberries used to be

no clue what his exit strategy was, but i'm pretty sure the l'il feller ended up alright :)

A couple of years ago there was a mother with three cubs she'd bring down to the slough from Hamilton quite a bit and they'd also hang out on the tracks down at the Elk crossing east of the corner about a 100-150 yards. The next year the cubs would come down and sun on the tracks at the crossing moving whenever a train came along and then going back to sunning.

Haven't seen any since, so glad to hear some more have turned up again.

yeah, this one was alone. Hung out on the tracks just down & west of pipeline/windsurfer area, before wandering down to the water. I wouldn't know how old it was. It certainly wasn't a baby, but it wasn't very big.

We were wondering if they ever went through the campground looking for food.

I have seen a few bears in my time at Beacon. It has been a while....then again, it has been a while since I spent any real time there.

Looks like I will be out there tomorrow and not Sunday....anyone else coming out?

i'm meeting kenny out there in the morning - don't know what the hell we're doing yet though...

I have seen a few bears in my time at Beacon. It has been a while....then again, it has been a while since I spent any real time there.

Looks like I will be out there tomorrow and not Sunday....anyone else coming out?

i'm meeting kenny out there in the morning - don't know what the hell we're doing yet though...

I am planning on getting to the base sometime around 7 am. I have to be back by 2 so the early bird gets the worm.

man, d'as early - kenny's gotta work at 1 - i imagine i'll be arriving sometime about 8.

edited to add there kev, me n' ben n' mike are taking our li'l kids climbing at french's dome sunday, if you want to bring yours...

Edited by ivan