Beyond The Mountain - Steve House

Bigtree

Fantastic read. The guy can write as well as climb. Get yourselves a copy.

I don't understand the economics of the publishing industry though. I bought my new copy over the web through Amazon.ca from some company in England for $18 Canuck bucks plus a few for shipping.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was into it at first but then after about a dozen chapters just got bored. It reads like a shopping list of climbs he did & I couldn't tell whether he was on North Twin, Nanga Parbat or wherever after a while.

Also it borrows a bit too heavily from the agonized, Mark Twight-esque existential style of climbing writing for my taste.

anyway flame on :battlecage:

I think Dave Roberts is a bit more expressive & revealing about motivations, about his failures & fears. I also got the Boardman-Tasker omnibus recently & that writing also seemed to have more depth... however both of those can be a bit wordy at times, I like how House's writing is fairly lean & straightforward.

I think it's maybe just the author's different styles. Beyond the Mountain is, I think, a really excellent description of the actual climbing but it doesn't feel so much a story as a bunch of separate stories. Worth picking up though and everybody has different tastes.

Harvard Boy David Roberts is among best.

Fred Beckey is surprisingly good, though he writes very little.

Boardman-Tasker are very good.

Gawd I hate climbing literature.

Twight uses cheap gimicks.

Gwen Moffatt's 60's memoir is very good but available only in libraries.

Far worse are most journalists that specialize in climbing.

Could definitely mention somebody y'all'd know from Seattle, but won't

Maybe I'll look at House, if available in library. Amer Alpine Club Journal is good, as is NWMJ.

I liked the part in One Green Bottle where she sleeps with the rich guy so he'll buy her new boots.

My buddy beat her to that idea. We call him the man whore due to the fact he once seduced and then slept with an older (not unnatractive) lady so she would buy him a pair of La Sportiva mountain boots.

I still give him shit for it but mostly it's because he beat me to the idea. :D

Edited by Pilchuck71

Pat Ament, John Long, and John Gill have done some great writing... and climbing.

I haven't read House's book but anybody who thinks it is boring should go climbing with him and experience terror first hand.

Maybe in some future life when I've been assigned a better body. :grin:

I liked the part in One Green Bottle where she sleeps with the rich guy so he'll buy her new boots.

My buddy beat her to that idea. We call him the man whore due to the fact he once seduced and then slept with an older (not unnatractive) lady so she would buy him a pair of La Sportiva mountain boots.

?One Green Bottle was written in the 50s.

?One Green Bottle was written in the 50s.

I am 87 years old...................

• 3 weeks later...