Where is a good crevasse near Paradise?

I'am looking for a good crevasse to throw myself into near Paradise Feb 15-17. Some friends are flying in from all parts and we are practicing for Denali. If you have been up there recently and can think of a good place to point me, I would appreciate it. There's a good chance that all we'll see is the fog on our goggles so a general location by map coordinates would be especially nice.

We are not an organized club and would be happy to share whatever crevasse we find.

If weather permits, we will go up to Ingraham flats and hopefully even summit. But most likely it will be a slog in the fog to a cold hole.

Keith

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

KKS:

Are you saying you are going to Ingraham flats just to find a crevase for crevase rescue training?

Ingraham Flats is a bit of a trip for crevase drills...especially in winter. Fog is the last thing I would be concerned with that time of the year.

I would simply find a nice steep drift in the paradise area and use that for training. There are plenty of large drifts that form steep walls that would make good simulations for crevase drills.

If you must have a crevase try the Nisqually, but the vast majority of the crevases will be filed in that time of the year. If you stay low enough on the glacier and you go poking around you might find one....then again it might find you. [hell no]

Play it safe when in a class/teaching environment.

If you are thinking about the summit you may want to check your route. Gib Ledges is the prefered winter route for various reasons...one of which is avalanche conditions on the Ingraham. shocked.gif" border="0

So if you are looking for training...train in a more controlled environment. If you want to summit post for beta on Gob Ledges....good luck and climb safe. [big Drink]

Great advice. It is not a teaching/learning environment. Everyone is well trained and very experienced. We are getting together to climb together because not everyone has met everyone else on the team and we don't want to find out about personality problems on Denali. We are hoping to summit. I will look at Gib ledges. Thanks. The trip to Ingraham flats would have been to set up for the summit in a place that has lots of big crevasses. I have told everyone on the team that avalanche danger is the most likely reason we would not summit. That is why we would look for a crevasse lower down. Steep walls are great and all but there's something more exciting and realistic about being in a crevasse while practicing crevasse extraction techniques.

If anyone has skied down by the frying pan glacier or elsewhere and noticed a clearly visible crevasse that would be easy to find in marginal conditions, please let me know.Thanks!Keith

Even in the worst of weather, you could get to the lower Nisqually Glacier, where there were plenty of open crevasses a week ago. From Paradise, you would hike up hill for twenty minutes or so to reach "glacier vista," and drop down the hill to the Nisqually. Depending on conditions, there might be some avalanche hazard dropping down that hill, though it faces west so in most storm conditions it is safer than other aspects.