Waiting for the snow

Joe_Poulton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think katahdin is closed in april, just march 31st is the official end of the 'winter' season there. I'd guess if there is enough snow then you can do what you'd like then.

http://katahdincam.com/

I guess I should've clarified - overnight camping is only allowed May 15 through October 15 and December 1 through March 31. So there is a gap from 4/1-5/15 where you can only day trip and you'd only be able to drive up to the Togue Pond gate - still ~14mi from Chimney Pond and they might not allow you to day trip into the South/Great Basin.

Why do they do it? Don't know, mud season?

"I'd guess if there is enough snow then you can do what you'd like then"

Lol, ya... "do what you like" is not how Baxter State Park really works. With feet of snow they would still close up. They are notorious in the NE for being full of over-protective and stifling regulations and rarely bending them, if at all. Check out their website for all the regulations.

thanks for explaining baxter state park's regulatory attitude. i finished my thru hike there late in the season and its not like we didn't look to big k and all its regs and details for the thousand miles before it.. :rolleyes: . Percival wanted things a certain way and to his credit a lot of that remains.

why don't you call and discuss with them what you want to do in that april to may window if that is the best time you have available.

I know that after October 15th people are still climbing K to finish. Even if you can't spend the night there they aren't going to ban you from taking your skis in for whatever you can do in a day if there is snow. I think they, or someone, had a particular reason to end overnight stays in those two windows. you and I might not agree or understand, but i'm sure there is a reason.

Edited by Water

Katahdin, although it seems like a pain in the ass, is on my bucket list. Not so much for the grandeur of the terrain, but for the experience. In my opinion The Whites are the most bang for your buck. Easy access and killer terrain trump the red tape of Baxter. I would love to check out the Chic-Chocs though...

Mansfield is....whatever. You should probably skip it and spend more time in the Whites.