Waiting for the snow

Joe_Poulton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting set up: Dukes on some Havocs. So you took a heavy side country binding and put in on a skinny/light ski.........I have the ultimate Pac West side country set up: Dukes on the X Wing Lab. Yes, I have a small penis; and yes, the set-up destroys my hip flexers--but going down is so good.

As for the snow...I have a gut feeling that it's going to be a bust around here this winter (central cascades). I'm thinking Tahoe is gonna get crushed...and the northern tiers of New England (Jay, Burke, Mt. Washington area, Sugarloaf, Katahdin) will be inundated as well.

Interesting set up: Dukes on some Havocs. So you took a heavy side country binding and put in on a skinny/light ski.........I have the ultimate Pac West side country set up: Dukes on the X Wing Lab. Yes, I have a small penis; and yes, the set-up destroys my hip flexers--but going down is so good.

As for the snow...I have a gut feeling that it's going to be a bust around here this winter (central cascades). I'm thinking Tahoe is gonna get crushed...and the northern tiers of New England (Jay, Burke, Mt. Washington area, Sugarloaf, Katahdin) will be inundated as well.

Actualy...I don't know why I wrote Havoc...they're the Zealot..

I live in Bend, so I ride Bachelor quite a bit (which is why I have the Duke). A few buddies of mine have sleds, so I'll get out to few off piste playgrounds. To tell you the truth I'm pretty much a slave once the snow flys....occupational hazard of running a ski shop.

Edited by backclipped

Mmmmmm skiing.... It won't be a bumper year, its always good.

Katahdin is harder to get into than getting into the Sisters (unless you are going at North in full on winter). Sugarloaf got dumped on last winter. I skied a 30+ inch storm over winter break. I was the only person on 100mm skis.

I live in Bend, so I ride Bachelor quite a bit (which is why I have the Duke). A few buddies of mine have sleds, so I'll get out to few off piste playgrounds. To tell you the truth I'm pretty much a slave once the snow flys....occupational hazard of running a ski shop.

Well, I'll have to plan a meet up with you when I use my Warren Miller free day....

Mmmmmm skiing.... It won't be a bumper year, its always good.

Katahdin is harder to get into than getting into the Sisters (unless you are going at North in full on winter). Sugarloaf got dumped on last winter. I skied a 30+ inch storm over winter break. I was the only person on 100mm skis.

Have you skied Katahdin? That is a big tick on my bucket list--ski it and climb the Armadillo route....and perhaps something on Mt. Hamlin. I'm moving back to Bucksport (Orland actually) at the end of March. Hopefully the Whites will be good and stockpiled.

Yeah, I'm sure at certain mountains back east 100mm waisted skis turn heads. I can't wait for the lift line comments about why X Wing Labs.....the lift lines are inevitable. I have a fiance learning how to ski.

Well, I'll have to plan a meet up with you when I use my Warren Miller free day....

This year it's a twofer......

Those are some sick boards. I have a pair of Ogasakas for the boiler plate. Man, I don't know where you boys skied, but my tenure at Jay Peak taught me the merits of fat skis.

Apparently getting up to Katahdin is a wicked pain in the ass. I mean, it's hard enough to cut the red tape for the rock exploits: it's "mandatory" to carry a #4. for the Armadillo.

I really hope it's not a bust season since I'm trying to get my girl into AT this year. The weather peoples are predicting a lousy year around here from what I've heard, but I'm hoping they are wrong.

I got a message from a friend in North Idaho saying one of the tiny ski areas there recently had 19 inches of snow on the ground.

In a worst case scenerio you'll either climb higher or travel a bit more to find what you're looking for.

I'm thinking Tahoe is gonna get crushed...and the northern tiers of New England (Jay, Burke, Mt. Washington area, Sugarloaf, Katahdin) will be inundated as well.

Not sure why anyone would travel all the way there to go skiing, unless it was work or family related. But hey if that floats your boat.

I still think this winter is going to deliver the goods here. Today was just a taste of what is to come!

I'm thinking Tahoe is gonna get crushed...and the northern tiers of New England (Jay, Burke, Mt. Washington area, Sugarloaf, Katahdin) will be inundated as well.

Not sure why anyone would travel all the way there to go skiing, unless it was work or family related. But hey if that floats your boat.

I still think this winter is going to deliver the goods here. Today was just a taste of what is to come!

It is absolutely precious that west coasters don't look to the east for valid skiing. Love it. Makes me smile

It is absolutely precious that west coasters don't look to the

east for valid skiing. Love it. Makes me smile

Probably because there are any numbr of places much closer than the east coast that offer better skiing, no matter what the conditions.

I'm not a skier but I've been over much of the skiing terrain when thru-hiking the AT and the northeast is tiny compared to 'out west'. I'm at a loss for a reason why someone from the west coast would end up going east with all the varied skiing options across wa, or, cali, co, utah, id, mt...etc. how could that compare to much out east? please fill me in if there is something obvious I am missing and I will eat crow without complaint.

Maybe to visit family or just see somewhere new...any other reason?

I'm not a skier but I've been over much of the skiing terrain when thru-hiking the AT and the northeast is tiny compared to 'out west'. I'm at a loss for a reason why someone from the west coast would end up going east with all the varied skiing options across wa, or, cali, co, utah, id, mt...etc. how could that compare to much out east? please fill me in if there is something obvious I am missing and I will eat crow without complaint.

Maybe to visit family or just see somewhere new...any other reason?

To argue against the west being the best would be asinine. I moved out here for a reason....although I gotta tell ya, Central Oregon fucking sucks for skiing. I'm just of the opinion that true ski buffs should want to sample different flavors, and the northeast has something to offer. Here are some good ones: Jay Peak, VT; Stowe, VT; Cannon, NH; the Presidential Range of the Whites (most notably Tuckerman's Ravine), NH; Mt. Katahdin, ME; The Chic-Chocs of northern Quebec..........but you're right, why fly to VT when you can drive to Red.