1000 foot face

DanO

In walker valley there is a thousand foot cliff face on bald

mountain totally ripe for development. The area is a logging area

so I doubt anyone would care about climbers, climber trails and

bolts and so on. Would be sort of silly considering the vast tracks

of logging clear cuts and bulldozer created logging roads etc.

But who knows for sure in today's world?

Anyway

As things are going climbers will have to expand into other areas.

The cliff face looks like prime climbing real estate. As far I

as I know virgin, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Dan

Edited by DanO

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the mid 90's I spent a significant amount of time exploring some walls around that area.

My main area of interest at the time was Split Rock and then Calendar Wall, but I did eye the face of which you speak and discussed it with a former partner named Bruce Bauer who said he had done some exploring on it.

I doubt it is virgin but I am sure there is new route potential.

On the back side of the face your looking at last post there is a road to a trail. The trail leads to the top and there is a register. I walked along part of the face, I wish I had a gas powered hammer drill and bolts. I would like to put up a few routes. Of course it is covered in algae and junk.

There is a way to drive in, but I have not found out how yet.

I have been biking in.

There is a creek at the bottom at the face for water for camping.

You can actually drive up and then could have a fairly short

hike to the face at a couple three places. There is no trail that I can see of to the bottom of the face.

No signs of it being developed. I am sure it can be trad climbed

as is with long run outs, but I would rather have a bolt gun of

some sort, sort of chicken of massive fall potential. Maybe a

good route or two of safer trad routes?, have to look harder.

A lot of potential.

Dan

I have been to the area, and the wall in question is a hunk of shit. If you have bolts/hangers itching to burn, send me a PM. Calendar Butte a short walk further is way better. However, you might want to get in touch with Rod Fox before adding any routes to Calendar, as you might actually be looking at a previously done line that has fallen into obscurity.

In walker valley there is a thousand foot cliff face on bald

mountain totally ripe for development. The area is a logging area

so I doubt anyone would care about climbers, climber trails and

bolts and so on. Would be sort of silly considering the vast tracks

of logging clear cuts and bulldozer created logging roads etc.

But who knows for sure in today's world?

Anyway

As things are going climbers will have to expand into other areas.

The cliff face looks like prime climbing real estate. As far I

as I know virgin, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Dan

Looks like a significantly interesting choss pile. BTW, I bet Dwayner - Raindawg would care, just because it's there and it violates what he "thinks" is morally right, not that he will ever go there, climb or even see it. He's still working on his Elmer Gantry merit badge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Gantry

There were people out there messing around on Calendar Wall even before Rod Fox

yes, but he has the "big green book"

Isn't Rod down in the desert somewhere cataloging trash or some such thing these days?

I would say that if you wanted to get technical about it one should consult Pig Pen, Ken Strong or Smedley about routes, in Rods absence, as those guys are primarily responsible for the scrubbing and cleaning of "Calendar Butte" after being recruited by Fox.

Then again it is DNR land so no one REALLY needs to ask permission of anyone.

All I am saying is that if the guy goes to Calendar butte, he should think twice about adding any additional bolts cause chances are that line was already climbed. Rod has all the known routes documented in a topo book, so you can tell where all the lines were established. I have seen the book and there were quite a few routes put up. But walking around the base of the crag now, you would harldly know it.

I have seen the book and there were quite a few routes put up. But walking around the base of the crag now, you would harldly know it.

So...basically it sounds like a big waste of time. What is this Calendar Butte you guys are yapping about? A forgotten gem? or a big 'ole pile of shit?

Calendar is not a waste of time or a pile of dook.

It IS a bit obscure and not a huge area as well as a little out of the way but I have had good times there and there are still good times to be had.

I am going to try and copy my buddies Fox Guide this weekend.

It has been years since I have been out there....maybe there will be a renaissance?

Calendar Butte is a fine crag. Hanman and I scoped it after I talked to Rod a couple years ago about particulars. Too much distraction with Spring Mt. and such, has precluded our effort to go scrub a significanlty smaller crag. However, if the direct approach trail was re-established, the routes re-cleaned and trafficed on a more regular basis, it would be a great spot. There is trad and sport up to 2 pitches. There is actually some pretty badass looking cracks there (my particular area of interest). I will post some photos tonight.

Also notice this is my 666 post, I am feeling a bit apocolyptic right now.

Edited by shapp

Looks like a significantly interesting choss pile. BTW, I bet Dwayner - Raindawg would care, just because it's there and it violates what he "thinks" is morally right, not that he will ever go there, climb or even see it.

Leave it in spray.

Be sure to wash your hands when you are done.

and the photos of calendar butte, mind you it was wet that day, it actually isn't all that dirty compared to other first pitches I have scrubbed. I would be down for a trail/scrub fest in the not too distant future on a Monday hopefully

Calendar_Butte_1_.JPG

Calendar_Butte_3_.JPG

Calendar_Butte_2_.JPG

Calendar_Butte_6_.JPG

Calendar_Butte_4_.JPG

Edited by shapp