Cascade Climbers "We're Drinking Now" Pub Club

Beck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, dru, but I do have some cool stuff in my basement- No, before ever meeting Cavey I thought he sounded like some illmannered lout ready to feed some people some knuckle sandwiches, I stand corrected after having met Ray- I've got no beef with him, mabye he wants to "short rope" the Cellphoneposse members to a radiator? why DO you want me to bring the cuffs, Cavey? did you want to use them on Hollyclimber? Don't worry, cavey, you've got a couple things missing from people I date and I don't think you're a late bloomer- I've never seen you climb but i betcha got a NICE RACK!! lol

What is with the handcuffs thing? Beck are you

a) a cop

b) a ranger

c) The Gimp from Pulp Fic.

If c) where do you get those masks? we could install them on sprayers on this site (myself included) and zip and unzip mouth as appropriate... smile.gif

There's been talk about Tuesday Beer night in Tacoma. Sounds good to me; we had fun last time it was here but since Beck has become the unofficial host of these sessions, he can make the call, I spose. It ain't such a bad drive from Seattle and if anybody is a routine drunk, you can get your sober buddy to drive you back home or catch a ride on Beck's handlebars. The Harmon Brewery was mentioned...and excellent choice as it the nearby and sometimes rowdier Swiss Tavern. There is also Bob's Java Jive which being shaped like a giant T-pot, has its own cult following. (Back in the day, they used to have LIVE MONKEYS in a kind of giant aquarium near the pool tables. They'd hide when they thought you were coming to look at them and then jump out and slapped the glass really hard while making a scary face...GOODTIMES!...don't know what happened to them monkeys!)

So come to Tacoma and gain some real culture.

What say, Brother Eric? Them places be easier to get to then the Parkway where the last session down here was held.

- Dwayner

P.S. By the way, the guy(s) makin' fun of Beck somewhere up above this here message...Dude! Beck rules, makin' even the lowliest first-day-out-of-the-gym proto-climber feel like a world-class alpinist and very welcome at these pub things! Gee whiz!

I'd be interested in a Seattle pub club meeting again. Can't do Tacoma though. Dante's is a good place, although I think the Monkey Pub across the street is less "hi I'm a frat boy and I wear my hat backwards" kind of place.

Lisa- That psycho stalker guy has a serious problem and sounds dangerous. I'm really sorry you are living in such hell. I lived next door to a real asshole neighbor about 7 years ago. He beat his wife regularly, listened to the stereo full blast until the wee hours of the morning, and threatened everyone. After I asked him to turn his music down or whatever, he decided to turn his "issues with women" onto me. He stole my laundry (Levis) and sold them, stole my mail and signed up for credit cards under my name, followed me around Capitol Hill screaming at me calling me b*tch, etc. He did everything to make my life miserable, put screws in my car tires, broke the antenna off my car, broke lights outside my apartment, threw baseballs against the wall all night just to aggrivate me, and tried to run me over with his truck. The list goes on and on. The police didn't do shit except piss him off more. The landlord was terrified of him. Tired of the threats, I finally unlisted my number, and moved away. It would have been immensely satisfying to get some of my 6'2" friends to break both of his legs in a dark ally- but unfortunately that's illegal.

Eddie - if it turns out to be a T-Town evening I'd ride there with you.

Pope - did you ever hear the organ player who used to play the Batman theme over and over, years back when "Java" and "Jive" were still there? That place was (still is?) cool! But for out-of-towners, it is a little convoluted to get there, isn't it? Admittedly, its far easier than trying to get to Ballard Avenue.

Matt P.:

I believe you are referring to Mr. Bobby Floyd who used to play the organ at the Jive. And yes, he could play that Batman theme for hours and he did play it well. And Java and Jive were the names of the two monkeys in the aquarium.

Yes, you are correct, the Java Jive is a bit hard to find for you fancy out-of-towners. The two easiest to locate are the Harmon Brewery right on Pacific Avenue in Downtown Tacoma, just a few blocks off the freeway, and the Swiss which is just a couple of blocks off of Pacific. Eric? You throw in your 2 cents. Dynamite? You come on down here. Carpool it with Jules and some of your other righteous alpine sisters in Seattle. and the rest of you? feel the alpenglow that only Tacoma can provide as the official gateway to Mt. Rainier because as you know, Tacoma was named after the mighty mountain itself.

And those of you who think me and pope be the same, pope is going to try to show up for once to spray his wit and wisdom.

- Dwayner

Seattle brethren, I'll drive and maintain a reasonable level of sobriety, would like to leave ttown 930-10 ish though- I'll pick up people sweeping south out of Beacon Hill 615-30 ish, West Seattlites I can also pick up-

You Tacoma boys call the place, isn't it easy to get to the Java Jive off of 16th and ??? the street you turn off to go to Backpackers' Supply?

[This message has been edited by Beck (edited 08-13-2001).]

O.K. I found a good place in Tacoma that should be relatively easy to get to and with the right characteristics: nice but not too nice, plenty o' beer, open until 2 AM, good food, colorful, etc. It's a popular place called "The Swiss". It's in downtown Tacoma just a couple of blocks off of Pacific, the main drag. Address: 1904 S. Jefferson Ave., T-town. I'll provide some good written directions coming from the North tomorrow. (I tried the on-line directions thing and the route they offered gets you there but in a very convoluted fashion.)

So, how's about c. 6:30/7:00 PM or there's about anytime thereafter? Look for your host, Beck. They're reserving a big table for us in the non-smoking beer area.

- Dwayner

You guys have fun tomorrow and say a cheer for me. I took a small, but painful tumble yesterday, bad sprain on finger and ankle, have to lay off the foot for awhile, ugh! I wasn't even climbing....weak!

Hey Dynamite, sounds like we gals know how to attract some of the finer wierdos in town. I will say, I am not living in hell or, really bothered as I would be if it was ongoing beyond a few letters a year. I do get fed up, but mostly relieved that I am far removed from the past. I just want it to stay there ya know, thanks for your note.

Cheers to the other homers that will be supporting our liquor board with pride.

Pub Club Directions in Tacoma:

"The Swiss", 1904 S. Yakima

Directions coming south on I-5

Take Tacoma City Center Exit, #133

This will take you on a little freeway veering right known as 705 N.

Get left and take the S. 21st Street exit.

Go through lights and cross Pacific. Go hill on 21st a couple or few blocks until Jefferson.

Make a right on Jefferson.

The Swiss is just about a block ahead on the left at the corner of Jefferson and 19th.

It's really easy to get back to I-5 for the return to Seattlewards. Down Jefferson, left on 21st S., and the big signs will point you in the right direction.

You kids comin' from parts south...I know you can figure it out!

The tavern is expecting us and has reserved a big table for us under the name, "Cascade Climbers".

See ya...by the way, Mr. pope says he's going to be making an appearance for those of you who think me and he are one and the very same.

- Dwayner

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

The tavern is expecting us and has reserved a big table for us under the name, "Cascade Climbers".

See ya...by the way, Mr. pope says he's going to be making an appearance for those of you who think me and he are one and the very same.

- Dwayner

Somebody take a digital camera and get a picture of these two thats the only evidence I will believe. grin.gif