Dave Waggoner (CCH Alien cam inventor) dies

glassgowkiss

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the family sells the patents and rights to produce to someone like Metolius.

Metolius already has Mastecams, so no chance of such deal. Doug has a computer file documenting Alinen's design problems.

My condolences to the family

Hopefully metolius will expand the range of their master cams to match those of aliens. Until then, the set and a half i have will proabaly continue to gather dust as i continue plugging in my trusty blown-out aliens.

RIP Dave

There is a trade off between the range and holding power. Aliens used 16 degrees on a cam lobes, Metolius uses 14. The bigger the range, the lower holding power. BD uses somewhere in between, 15 degrees and dual axle on bigger units, which in itself can twist and pop the cam out (particularly with sizes 4 and above). There are numerous instances of BD cams braking the plastic triggers during a larger fall. CH had also issue with quality control- up to date they did not implement ISO 9001, worldwide industry standard. There is also reason REI and MG pulled CH out of the stock- some of the units (during independent testing) were failing at 800-900 lbs range. For this reason I don't tie with people who bring Aliens for the rack, unless it's an aid route.

I hear ya glassgowkiss. I've tried to transition into the master-cams by bringing an alien and mastercam of similar size and i always try to place the mastercam first. 3/4 of the time i'm not satisfied with the master cam placement or it simply won't go in while the alien will often slot in perfectly and easily. Granted these experiences have occured on the not so straightforward 5.11 trad climbs of ltown. I'm sure they go in easier in places like squamish or index.

It would be cool if the next generation of mastercams were a bit tweaked with perhaps 1 more degree of range and a larger trigger.

But this thread is about Dave of CCH who proabaly had the biggest impact/evolution on modern active protection.

• 5 months later...

The company which makes Aliens: CCH, is for sale. Please contact Nadia Waggoner if you are interested.

cchaliens@aol.com

Nadia Waggoner

production/office manager

Colorado Custom Hardware

115 E.Lyon Street

Laramie, Wyoming 82072

Malcom of Trango says it won't be him, BTW.