N. Cascades Hwy. Snow and More Issues

Dan_Miller

Hi all,

The media is advertising snow - so before you get alarmed - Here's the forecast for the North Cascades (and the rest of our Okanogan Maintenance Area) as of mid day today - It shows things aren't bad - a little snow dusting - with everything getting wet and warmer tomorrow:

As of 1100 this morning, swath of light snow was located down south near the I-90 corridor. This band of snow was looking fairly light as it tracked northward. Light snow will sweep S to N through this afternoon, but it may not have much impact. North Cascades could see a little road snow as well as the other passes, with mainly roadside slush over Loup Loup, Disautel and Wauconda. A second event is still pegged for the overnight hours, mostly second part of the night into early Wed morning. This event is a LITTLE weaker looking that it did last night. However, snow concerns for all passes and some slush down to near valley floor levels is still a concern for second part of the night. Conditions should improve S to N area early to mid Wed morning, with slow warming. North Cascades will see continue to see snow well into Wed afternoon, but snow will become very wet mid to late morning through afternoon. Most of the road snow by mid day Wed should be largely above 4,500 ft. Rest of the area Wed should be improving considerably, with no additional developing concerns for snow.

I don't know how many of you have seen this on the Methow Valley Bulletin Board, but it contains some information that could be misleading:

Looking for public comments - I am initiating an effort to fund winter trail grooming up hwy 20 east from where the road closes to the summit. I have contacted DOT and they have given preliminary approval pending forest service approval for avalanche control work on forest service lands needed to keep the route safe. Powderbird Guides of Utah currently consulting regarding control work - they have offered their control manual approved by Utah DOT for control work in little cottonwood canyon - would need to work through North Cascades Heli. Right now I am preparing a prospectus for forest service. Seeking cost estimates from MVSTA for leasing and operating 2 or three piston bullies. Access would be via cabs on cats and single ride heli to the summit for a long downhill skate. Questions have arisen regarding whether it is steep enough for alpine skiers to take a long sightskiing tour downhill to town. Do you know if it would steep enough? Might seek stimulas money through DOT. This would open up the only heli accessed nordic downhill skate in the country - through the most spectacular alpine scenery in the country. It would be an international draw. Comments?

Here's our "official" take:

WSDOT has not given preliminary approval for this activity. We have encouraged the promoters to communicate with the US Forest Service and other stakeholders. If after that coordination they still feel this is viable, they could come to WSDOT with specifics on what they are proposing. WSDOT would need to evaluate the proposal before providing any approvals, and other stakeholder approvals may likely be required too.

WSDOT would not perform avalanche control for this activity.

We are also unaware of any Federal Stimulus funding availability for such a project through WSDOT.

(I've said this before, but here it goes again - WSDOT can only close the highway to licensed motor vehicles. We also can only control what is done within our Right of Way. Finally, our authority/mandate is transportation, NOT recreation.) By the way - the cold snap brought out a lot more "autumn leaves", but if you're going - check the forecasts on the web or call 5-1-1, first. Oh, so you don't need to ask - NO, you can't put on your studded tires until Nov. 1

Jeff Adamson

adamsoj@wsdot.wa.gov

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic