Stolen Gear -SE Portland

hkrhnk11

Just had my car broken into and my pack with my whole rack stolen. Happened in SE Portland, would appreciate it if anyone comes across anyone selling stuff super cheap to let me know.

Pack was a REI Pinnacle. Had all 3rd generation BD C4's up to #3, with doubles from purple to yellow. Also a full set of TCU's, 2 sets of Metolius curve nuts (older non-anodized), all marked with red tape. Also an Edelwiess Axis 60m rope (purple), in a red Metolius dirt bag.

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about that - gettin yer shit jacked sucks! It happened to me downtown two years ago.

Did you make a police report? Do this first, and then start checking craigslist and Next Adventure. Try talking to the people at NA and maybe they can inform you when something like what you had stolen comes in. Criminals are stupid and unless it was a climber without a conscience (read: someone who might keep and use your gear rather than sell it) you could see your gear again.

Good luck!

most renters and homeowners policies cover theft from an auto. But you have to submit a police report with your claim - so make sure you call the cops. There is also usually a time limit for submitting a claim - and its not very long, usually a couple days.

Make sure you get replacement value (basically retail) and not actual value if you policy covers it (most do I believe)

Thanks for the all the advice.

I did file a police report right when I got to my car. Unfortunately I don't have insurance that would cover any of it, so I'm kinda sol. I went down to Next Adventure today, down where they buy the used gear, and they were super helpful. They actually had a form printed up for you to list your info and everything that was stolen.

Yeah, having your rack stolen feels like a member of the family getting abducted. Makes me wanna hire Steven Seagal to go vigilante on their ass. Won't be leaving shit in my car EVER AGAIN.

for those without renters insurance....(and also for people who like Mr. T):

http://kolbequityinvestments.blogspot.com/2009/10/i-pity-fool-without-renters-insurance.html

Also, fyi for you with cars and no renters insurance - most major companies that sell both Auto and Renters policies will give you a discount if you get both. My discount on my auto insurance was enough to cover the renters insurance altogether - so its basically free.

I had my gear jacked out of the vehicle in SE back in '93 and it was completely out of sight to boot. My renters insurance covered it without so much as asking for a list - they just asked for a number that would replace it and sent me a 2k check. Good renters insurance is worth it. Most have strict limits on the amount they cover for electronics, computers, cameras, and jewelry so be sure and ask about those and maybe get additional coverage which is still cheap.

i too questioned why the heck to get renters insurance when my auto agent first brought it up at $100 bucks a year~ but the discount I got with auto in addition to what it covers makes total sense. While I'm sure it is beyond exceedingly rare for it to happen, I get paranoid about base-camp stuffs being stolen while out in the backcountry -- I have to say finding out my renters insurance would cover it, or if my car got broken into at a TH and anything of enough value was stolen was a huge huge relief. I'm still smart about what I leave where but if anything happens I don't have to take it on the chin.

Just had my car broken into and my pack with my whole rack stolen. Happened in SE Portland, would appreciate it if anyone comes across anyone selling stuff super cheap to let me know.

Pack was a REI Pinnacle. Had all 3rd generation BD C4's up to #3, with doubles from purple to yellow. Also a full set of TCU's, 2 sets of Metolius curve nuts (older non-anodized), all marked with red tape. Also an Edelwiess Axis 60m rope (purple), in a red Metolius dirt bag.

Thanks

Happened to me a few years ago.

File a police report they told me if I saw any of my gear just to take it back. It is legal to do it. I am still looking.

Also I got some of my gear back after posting it on craigs list that it was stolen with a description of the stuff.

See my post at:

Stolen Gear

Plaidman

Edited by Plaidman