Fall Alpine Objectives?

Lafayette

Hi Gang,

Hoping to gain some wisdom from the CC collective. I'm looking to continue my peak bagging that started this summer. My question is that as we get into fall and winter where can I start looking?

Are the glaciers on the big mountains too broken up to be passable? Any ball park estimates on when the snow pack makes them passable again?

Cheers,

W

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno 'bout you but at the moment i'm hoping to climb the turkey monster and the picnic lunch wall routes 'fore dec 21 - getting a run up the n face of hood, now that the road up, is high on the list too.

if you're peak bagging, and i assume then looking for easy routes, most of the peaks in the enchantments will serve for fall, and in winter hood will work well.

Der Sportsmen should be in primo shape right now.

Last weekend while heading over the pass towards Vantage there looked to be snow on most of Stuart. Not sure how low it went but my guess is most of the enchantments got a dusting. Prusik might be low enough though.

Anybody got any pictures of the enchantments lately?

NE face of Eldorado, Mesahchie was excellent last year... Look for north facing things that just need a little bit of snow.

Up to this weekend the snow line was at about 4K', but it is supposed to warm up this week to freezing levels above 10K', so hold off on fall for some.

Der Sportsmen should be in primo shape right now.

Last weekend while heading over the pass towards Vantage there looked to be snow on most of Stuart. Not sure how low it went but my guess is most of the enchantments got a dusting. Prusik might be low enough though.

Anybody got any pictures of the enchantments lately?

I would give prusik a month or more of climbable season once stuart gets shut down. I've flown through the range in february and everything was covered in snow and ice except the s face of prusik which was sunny and snow/ice free.