Video Training

AlienSoul

When I started climbing I bought a copy of Freedom of the Hills like everybody else. I read it cover to cover and thought I had a pretty good handle on what to expect, but it took several times out with experienced climbers to really connect what I read to what I saw them doing. I looked around to see if I could find some sort of DVD or video training online and came up empty. Now that I've been climbing awhile (though I still consider myself a newbie) I've been thinking of creating something myself.

I would focus on things that rely on visual comprehension. Watch someone place protection. Learn to tie knots without funny diagrams. How to self arrest on various types of snow.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? And if so, what format would be most useful? DVD, on-line video, downloadable iPod video guides?

This certainly wouldn't replace Freedom, but would help to fill in some of the visual gaps.

Ok, now you can tell me it's a crazy idea. :-)

Thanks,

Josh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mountain Dew: Have you bought Freedom yet? If so, what are some of the things you are having a harder time grasping? Would video help in those areas?

What sort of format would be most helpful Mountain Dew? I'm leaning toward an online format, but I'm open to anything at this point.

Does anyone have any other ideas of video productions that would be helpful for alpine climbers? Video route guides? Fitness training? How to pee into the CORRECT Nalgene, in the dark, in your bivy, when it's freezing cold and the wind is trying to rip you off the mountain?

You are free to tell me this is a dumb idea. Like they say in business, find a market for your product before you make a product.

Thanks,

Josh

How to pee into the CORRECT Nalgene, in the dark, in your bivy, when it's freezing cold and the wind is trying to rip you off the mountain?

I prefer to bring one full quart of Gatoraid and then use the empty one for this purpose. The smaller opening makes spills less likely and if you have another type of water bottle, there should not be an issue of using the wrong one. The trick is not over-filling it and not letting any get in yer bag. This may not work as well if you are well endowed with more girth than me, however...

Well read some more of Freedom last night... It is kindof hard to read for me because it is not so much a "Book" as it is an instruction manuel... So I am just trying to read small parts at a time...

As far as what I would like to see on video....well I decided on the WHOLE thing!

I would like to see each chap on a video. Maybe 30mins per chapter. I could see a person talking about like Camping and tent set up (chap 3), and then also demonstrating how easy it can be etc... In my mind, I would kind of see it as a "Freedom Video for Dummies" type of thing. A lot of people may not agree or want to watch it, but I sure would!!

The Map reading section may need to be longer then 30 mins... I have taught map reading in the past, and a lot of people new to it are Very slow to catch on...

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikebarter387 Freedom of the hills online

Funny I am doing exactly that and it is not as easy as you may think. Camera, time, computer, editing skills and the experience to understand what you are teaching. Combined that with actually teaching mountaineering and climbing. Just lifting it from a book is a bit of a disservice as there are a lot of things in freedom of the hill that are not that important.

God forbid you should make a slight error of any kind and the cubicle posters who have freedom of the hills in their desk drawer will come down on you like the wraith of God and completely destroy your credability. On the other hand it is a good thing also as it makes you think twice before you publish.

I have a 140 videos up with about 100 of those being mountain skills related. Right now I am primarily on youtube but will be pod-casting on itunes by the end of the month. I am certainly open to critisism as long as it is creative and insightful. You would be amazed at how many firefighters tell me I should always have a edge roller when rapping. Every volunteer rescue weenie has an opinion also. You develop a thick skin after awhile. What I need now is a sponsor with over a million video views a year and specific viewers I am a better deal than any magazine add would be. So if you see a advertiser send them my way.

With final cut pro 7 it is possible to colaberate on projects.

check out mikebarter387 on you tube and tell me what I can do better. I have gone to a longer video format meaning I use the whole ten minutes these days and really try to answer all of you potential questions in that time. so that each system of technigue is covered. Saves me coming back and answering questions later. I also publish in HD720 as I think this displayed full screen and run to a projector is good enough for theater use. This week at a climbing fest in Florida they are showing the clove hitch during intermission I am told.

Edited by Mike Barter

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikebarter387 Freedom of the hills online

This week at a climbing fest in florida they are showing the clove hitch during intermission I am told.

These videos are great and I have been going over many of them to clear the cobwebs on skills I have not used in decades. Thanks for all the effort and time you have invested in making them. What I am wondering about is a "climbing fest" in Florida? WTF??

A friend and I were talking about Freedom of the Hills awhile back and concluded it is an awful book for a beginner to learn from...exhaustive in its coverage of certain minutia, it puts the emphasis on the wrong things and makes it hard for the young outdoors person to develop the skills to live well in the mountains.

My buddy, who has since climbed some major alpine routes and index 5.12 on gear, described setting off on his first gear lead based solely on information from FOTH hills with a bunch of webbing and not enough carbiners and trying to run the rope through slings etc...

Better, in my mind, are the shorter books by experts in their respective crafts...people like Peter Croft, John Long, Mark Twight, Ray Jardine, Craig Luben, John Midendorf...these expert climbers present the simple practical systems they have learned through years of experience...though they are all masters of things like self rescue, they stress the importance of dressing and eating well and getting by with minimal gear.

It is amazing to me how any instructional material can attempt to teach leading by teaching gear placement but ignore the art of finding a good stance from which to place, fail to describe how to keep rope drag down and not even mention the single most important piece of staying safe on the sharp end : KEPP YOUR FOOT OUT FROM BEHIND THE ROPE.

Climbing well does not come from memorizing knots and knowing how to place gear on the ground; those things are pretty trivial for some one with a reasonable amount of common sense. True climbing skill comes from mastering the fundamental aspects of living outside and moving over varying terrain. Hand jams, finger locks, rand jams, plunge steps, fig newtons, drop knees, gummy bears, water bottles, sun screen, headlamps, poofy coats, back steps, heel hooks... those are the climbing tools I break out the most.

Yeah, by who? The blue jays? come on, when else did the canadians do anything spectacular-except screw up lacrosse and call it hockey.

burning down the White House count?

No, Canadian militia weren't present during the razing of Washington in the War of 1812. Sorry Mike, but if you'd like to try and prove that Canadians are dumb enough to try what the majority of america wishes would happen-then be my guest! Oh, btw, why are you guys still under colonial rule of a tiny, impotent, island with a figurehead of an old fag-hag such as Queen Elizabeth?

A friend and I were talking about Freedom of the Hills awhile back and concluded it is an awful book for a beginner to learn from...

I hate to say this because I know sooo many people swear by this book; but I must agree with RyanB. It is more of a tech manuel imo, and I am having a hard time learning from it while I read... Maybe its just me :blush: