CC.com Turns 9

jon

Nine years ago today Timmy and I started cascadeclimbers.com. Porter came on several years ago and he and I continue to run it to this day. To a degree I'm not surprised that it has become as big as it has considering we filled a void, we really were at the forefront of online communities and social networking. 9 years is really light years in Internet years and it's incredible we are still around. I'm still amazed at the raw quality of some of the content that comes out in the form of Trip Reports. These years haven't been without controversies and missteps, but I'm proud of the hardwork the admins and moderators have done to keep this website thriving. I don't think it's very transparent at times just how much work goes into keeping it running but I hope people respect that by continuing to post great Trip Reports and other positive content.

Looking Back

I want to thank the moderators for all the work they have done since this site's inception. They really have a thankless job but it's essential to make sure our content stays the course with the vision we have for this website. I'd like to thank the individuals who have donated money, and more importantly time, to work on projects and events over the years. Most of all I'd like to thank those who have contributed positive content to this website, because we would have nothing without these people.

Looking Forward

We are working on some exciting projects, most significantly the wiki. I wish we could push this project along quicker but we are doing the best we can considering the resources at our disposal. We really want to implement the best solution that will work for us for the next 10 years and beyond. I want to assure people we are still very committed to this website and are in it for the longrun.

There are a few things I ask of you as a user of this website moving forward. Consider your contributions to the website and what kind of impact you are having. Continue posting great Trip Reports. Respect the view of others no matter what the subject is. Some of you may view this as a place to screw off while at work, but I guarantee to you there are people here who this is much more and have a vested interest in seeing it succeed. We respect the views of our posters and you need to respect them as well. The quality of this website is largely determined by the quality of what is posted, and if you aren't helping making this a better place then you are disrespecting those of us who are. If you just browse cc.com and don't post I encourage you to help contribute to the great content that we have. If you have climbing partners that don't post here I challenge you to encourage them to start posting. I know that people out there who are not happy with some of BS or quality of content on here, and I challenge you to help make this a better place instead of turning your back against it. We hope moving forward that we can continue working on making this a great website and a center piece of climbing in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks again for everyones contributions!

Cheers, Jon, Porter, and Timmy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am relatively new to climbing and the site and have learned a lot from on here--it is a great site. Among message boards, and I have been on plenty for all sorts things in the world, it is by far one of the most fierce, but I think that has it's merits in too. Not many dull folks, which can't be said for a lot of other places.

thank you so much for providing the venue and well developed tools! Really look forward to the wiki when it comes around.

Many thanks guys

Cheers to the mods also :brew:

Ditto!

Ditto as well!

all spray aside this place has fantastic content and resources as well as members willing to help with anybody and everybody's questions, concerns and curiosities

welld done Jon! :tup:

what is 9 in internet years anyway?

i'm a better climber because of this site. and I've made lots of friends, too. it kind of feels like a family.

I know I disagreed with it at the time, but I've come to decide that moving spray out of the "last 24-hour" query was a good idea. But, I do hope spray continues to be wild. I think that's actually an endearing aspect of the site, and part of its heart & soul.

thanks for everything guys