Labeled illustration of North Cascades

Steph_Abegg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered offering these to the NCNP to sell in their visitor centers? They may want to sell them, which would entail making a much larger run at the printer.

I'd be very interested in having these posters sold at the visitor centers, as they'd be a popular item I'm sure. I'm not sure who I'd go about contacting, but I was sort of hoping some of the people there might be tuned into cc.com enough to spread the idea to the right people to see if it is a possibility....

Until then, though, it'd be nice to find a good printer to get some nice copies distributed to those who have expressed interest (and to raise some funds too for WCC, of course). It could take awhile to get the park service involved, but I hope that is a future possibility.

-Steph

Why don't you contact Kelly Bush at NCNP. She could likely point you towards whomever at NCNP makes the decisions regarding printing/selling stuff at their visitor centers - or at the least, advise you if this is worth pursuing. I point all this out in the hope that it will lead to the best quality production and the widest availability of Steph's excellent product. It may add some red tape and extra effort/coordination, but ultimately, if it's worth doing.... it's worth doing well.

Some bad news here folks. Steph and I really tried to make this happen, especially in light of that obvious interest in the poster, but unfortunately we're going to need to put the project on hold for a while. Steph is starting school again and doesn't have anytime, and I'm helping put together Sausagefest.

We are pretty sure that we can make it happen, but until Steph and/or I can free up time to deal with it, it will be on hold. It may seem like a simple task to do it, but the logistics with funding, printing, receiving payment for, and then distributing the poster is more work than you'd think, especially when your schedule is already pegged out.

We're committed to getting a quality product out, so look for the poster happening in the future.

Sorry everyone, it just turned into too big a job to get the posters printed and distributed. The NPS has expressed some interest, so ideally they will be printing some at some undefined point in time.

Or, if anyone is interested in taking on the onerous task of printing, collecting money, distributing the posters, etc, let me know! It'd be nice if all those North Cascades enthusiasts out there can get one for their walls, and support the WCC at the same time.

-Steph

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Why not put it on CafePress and let them do the printing and shipping? They would print on-demand. Downside is that it would likely reduce the amount of margin you can provide for the fund raiser. But at least it gets the posters into the hands of those interested.

For example: Here (http://bit.ly/48RXer) is 23" x 35" which is print on-demand for $17.99. You can mark it up however high you want. CafePress handles the shipping and payment.

I'm disappointed that all the grassroots/community effort that went into this poster is now going to be funneled into a for-proft NPS concessionaire rather than the bro-deal/Index fundraiser this was originally shaping up to be.

I've not shut the door on making the poster a fundraiser, since that is a great way to get awareness for the WCC project to buy the Lower Town Wall. I am not selling through the NPS INSTEAD of the fundraiser, it was just that they had expressed interest, so I was letting everyone know that the poster would be distributed there in the future, as at the time it was becoming clear to Porter and I that printing/distributing the posters ourselves was WAY too much of a job for us to do ourselves. But, it seems there are others in the cc.com community who could help out with printing and distributing the poster, so hopefully the fundraiser can go ahead as planned. It'd be nice to do the initial run of these posters as a "grass-roots" operation as you mentioned.

I will make sure this is okay with my contact at the NPS, but they had expressed interest that was independent of the fundraiser, so I don't think it will be an issue. Ideally we can do a 100-200 poster run for the fundraiser, and get some of these posters out there soon!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Steph, we'll need to be sure that we mention that the WCC Fundraiser bit would be out with a NPS deal (unless they decide they want to do it!).

But no worries. We're going to have a way for you to contribute at Sausagefest to keep Index climbing accessible on the Lower Town Wall if you so desire.

I'm disappointed that all the grassroots/community effort that went into this poster is now going to be funneled into a for-proft NPS concessionaire rather than the bro-deal/Index fundraiser this was originally shaping up to be.

Bro-deal printing: Lower out-of-pocket cost for people that want the poster, some substantial chunk of $$ goes to good cause (saving Index), community warm fuzzy feelings.

Jo-blow printing in Ohio: Expensive poster, no money for Index, all the people who contributed suggestions/labels/etc in this thread get a slap in the face.

Steph, I hope you will decide to not go the concessionaire route. I understand it would be more convenient one-stop-shopping for you, but it would kinda ruin the spirit of the thing. I am willing to help with the project if it will help keep it a community project.

I've not shut the door on making the poster a fundraiser, since that is a great way to get awareness for the WCC project to buy the Lower Town Wall. I am not selling through the NPS INSTEAD of the fundraiser, it was just that they had expressed interest, so I was letting everyone know that the poster would be distributed there in the future, as at the time it was becoming clear to Porter and I that printing/distributing the posters ourselves was WAY too much of a job for us to do ourselves. But, it seems there are others in the cc.com community who could help out with printing and distributing the poster, so hopefully the fundraiser can go ahead as planned. It'd be nice to do the initial run of these posters as a "grass-roots" operation as you mentioned.

I will make sure this is okay with my contact at the NPS, but they had expressed interest that was independent of the fundraiser, so I don't think it will be an issue. Ideally we can do a 100-200 poster run for the fundraiser, and get some of these posters out there soon!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Jo-blow printing in Ohio: Expensive poster, no money for Index, all the people who contributed suggestions/labels/etc in this thread get a slap in the face.

Speaking for myself, I'm not offended by jo-blow printing. I know how difficult it can be to pull off volunteer projects. You do what you have to.

I am willing to help with the project if it will help keep it a community project.

That's the spirit!

Three cheers for the bro-deal grassroots/community effort! To be clear, it is not actually a for-profit concessionaire that sells posters, cards, books, maps, etc at the visitor centers it is a non-profit organization. The organization that will be taking it over starting 2010 is North Cascades Institute. I would venture a guess that most folks on CC would be glad to know what NCI is all about:

www.ncascades.org

From their website:

North Cascades Institute seeks to inspire a closer relationship with nature through direct experiences in the natural world. Our mission is to conserve and restore Northwest environments through education. Since 1986 we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.

North Cascades Institute is committed to innovation and excellence in environmental learning and leadership in the nonprofit community. We believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. Toward that end, four key themes run through all our programs:

The convergence of natural and cultural history, science, humanities and the arts

Human history as integral to the history of landscapes and wild lands

Respect among individuals and the broader community

Exploration, reflection and stewardship in the out-of-doors

Teaching all ages, we offer:

Seminars and retreats

School programs and summer youth adventures

Teacher education and internships

Volunteer stewardship programs

Graduate M.Ed. in environmental education

In 2005, North Cascades Institute opened North Cascades Environmental Learning Center. A partnership with the National Park Service and the City of Seattle, the Learning Center is surrounded by millions of acres of protected public lands. It is a hub of discovery into one of the wildest, most biologically diverse landscapes in North America. Learners of all ages come to explore and participate in innovative programs that inspire and enrich their lives.

• 3 weeks later...

This is being printed, thanks to Tod at Edgeworks Climbing, Tacoma.

It is purely an Index Fund Raiser. Posters will be numbered (this special WCC edition of the print will only have 200 printed) and all proceeds go to the Washington Climbers Coalition Fundraiser.

I should have a few with me at Sausagefest to include in the raffle.

Elsewise they will be available at Edgeworks and other outlets soon.

Again, all proceeds of the sale go to Index.