Labeled illustration of North Cascades

Steph_Abegg

As far as the park boundaries, I like Lowell's idea of titling the map "The North Cascades". If you left the boundary in you could put in the caption "North Cascades National Park Service Complex, which includes North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area, and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area". Those boundaries are important from a practical point of view because different rules apply and it is very confusing to most people, so here is an opportunity to show where the boundaries are. On that tack then, perhaps the NRA and USFS boundaries should be shown...get's cumbersome and busy rather quickly.

So, on the other hand..the political boundaries are artificial, don't lead to an aesthetic map, and may change anyway if the American Alps Legacy movement goes anywhere. How about a title something like: "The High Country of the North Cascades Ecosystem" ? Or...physiographically speaking the panorama doesn't cover the whole of the NCascades but it does cover the "The Crest of the North Cascades"

One correction: McGregor Mtn should be shifted right. It is the high point on the west side of the ridge. I think you have Rainbow Mtn labelled McG.

Below are some requests for labels, that I don't think will clutter it up too badly and would make the map more accessible to the hiking crowd too:

Hidden Lake

Sourdough Lookout

Desolation Lookout

Copper Ridge Lookout

Crater Mtn.

Lookout Mountain(maybe) or Cascade River Road

Davis Peak(maybe)

Rainy Pass or Lake

Bridge Creek and/or PCT

Easy Pass

Tower Mtn

Golden Horn

Hwy 20 label on the east side of Ross Lake

Edited by moraineboy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When deciding what to label, I think it's important to take into account which features the artist chose to emphasize.

To use a crude analogy (too crude, really, for work as beautiful as Berann's) the panoramist is like a caricature artist. (You know, the artists at street fairs who create portraits in which the subject's head is like a balloon on top of a tiny body.) The panoramist chooses features to emphasize and other features, by necessity, are suppressed. This is described in the website that Steph linked to:

http://www.shadedrelief.com/berann/index.html

See especially:

http://www.shadedrelief.com/berann/landscape.html

Generalization

Considering how much time is spent making a panorama appear realistic, an inevitable question arises: why not just use an oblique aerial photograph instead? The answer is “generalization.” Aerial photographs typically show too much and/or inappropriate detail.

[...]

Berann sometimes selectively exaggerated the size of important landmarks. This creative license was done at the expense of adjacent or intervening terrain because only a finite space exists on a printed sheet. The sacrificed terrain is usually not omitted but minimized in its extent and functions to bond or connect the more important components of the landscape.

We should beware of putting labels on features that Berann himself didn't emphasize. I think Sahale Peak is a good example. It's really not shown on the panorama. Le Conte is another marginal choice. Cutthroat is there (I guess) but it's clear that Berann didn't try to really depict it. That seems true of all the peaks NE of highway 20, except Jack and Hozomeen.

On the other hand, look at Gabriel Peak, halfway between Mesahchie and Ruby. That peak is just begging for a label. Berann obviously emphasized it. It's hard for me to say how far you should go in labeling, but thinking of the work as a "caricature portrait" of the Cascades may help. Which peaks did the artist try to make stand out from the crowd?

Regardless of all that, I really want to thank Steph for digging up this digital image--in the public domain no less! This is a wonderful gift to the Northwest mountaineering community and a great opportunity to acknowledge Berann's legacy.

When deciding what to label, I think it's important to take into account which features the artist chose to emphasize.

In that line of thought, I've marked yellow circles on peaks I might like to add labels to since they seem to be emphasized. ANyone care to take a gander at what they are?

-Steph

One addition easily picked out and emphasized would be the Twin Sisters.

In that line of thought, I've marked yellow circles on peaks I might like to add labels to since they seem to be emphasized. ANyone care to take a gander at what they are?

-Steph

About the dot near Buckner - Looking at the area topo, it looks like that is Booker Mountain.

Again, thanks! Awesome effort, this is coming out very nice!

From left to right:

1. I'm not sure about the stuff around Tower and Golden Horn so I'm going to pass on this one.

2. Booker

3. White Chuck

4. Crater (Jerry Lakes are the giveaway)

5. Teebone Ridge (or perhaps you could say Big Devil)

6. Unnamed (Pk 6872 NW of Prophet)

Very nice. I've seen that poster hanging in the occasional gas station/country store out along Hwy20.

Four comments

I honestly think the large landmass in back right is intended to be Vancouver Island with the San Juans being some slight green stuff just left of Baker.

Hannegan Peak is mislabeled. Teh actual Hannegan Peak is straight right of Ruth. What you have marked is a subsummit of Sefrit

Between Buckindy and Chavel I think you have White Chuck (you can tell because he included the little NW summit just to the right of the peak)

Fallen Angel is just left of the yellow circle below Marblemount, so... the yellow circle must be Big Devil?

You might add Sauk Mountain as well. Its directly above Marblemount

Edited by dberdinka

-Steph

Top should be Whitechuck. I'll second the Booker note. And I think the one near Marblemount is Big Devil. Not sure about the others, but it is possible that you have Crater mislabeled. Check the map, those two lakes (Jerry Lakes) are on Crater and fed by the Jerry Glacier also on Crater. Best I can tell what you have labeled Crater is Point 2056 on my map. (Why is it in meters?)

BTW, I've loved your TRs this summer, and a very fine labeling of the map too!

Edited by lazyalpinist

Here's my two cents:

Cent #1: Label what you want to label. It's your art project.

Cent #2: Selling this poster for profit might run afoul of the Berann family. The (unlabeled) poster may be in the public domain, but his family may still own the copyright for it. If folks wish to pay you for the cost of printing a poster, then that would be not for profit.

Edit: sorry, I was thinking "fair use" not "public domain" in regard to my "still own the copyright" statement. Still, at the least, it would be ethical to state on the poster that H. Berann created the original artwork, and you have done this.

Edited by klenke

Steph, I can help you advertise sales this poster on CC.com (at no cost) should you choose to make it.

/porter

Yes, for sure, thanks Jake! I was beginning to get overwhelmed with the interest level in this poster, and defintely want to make it available to anyone who wants it for their wall. However, with my grad school studies (alternating between a statistics text book and a topo map right now...), I really don't have the time to put into distributing it, so your help would be great and cc.com is a great place to do it.

I have formatted it for a 16x20 size, and will keep editing it until the comments die down, and then it is all ready to go. A great Christmas present...

-Steph

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Your efforts have inspired me, Steph.

My mental image of the Cascades was influenced by the Berann panorama decades ago (it was pinned to my wall for years). So I think it's a perfect illustration to open my website series on skiing the Cascade Crest. I've replaced my old cover photo with an annotated panorama:

http://alpenglow.org/skiing/cascade-crest/index.html

You can click the image to view an enlargement.

Thanks go to Heinrich Berann for painting it and to the National Park Service for making it publicly available.

Nice additions, I was thinking Davis needed to get labelled. Graybeard is pretty prominent in the caricature, and has certainly grown in the climbers eye since the N Face route got done. Its a little funny that Early Winter Spires rate but Liberty Bell doesn't, but it is lower, and maybe that spot is a little busy. Torment might deserve a mention, while it's pretty busy there, that seldom done N Ridge is highlighted, and the peak gets a lot of traffic.

I'm gonna vote Olympics rather than Vancouver Island, the southern bit of VI just doesn't present that kind of elevation, and I don't think its in that location.

Nice job de-emphasizing the park boundary, its much better in that fainter yellow.

Awesome project, clearly lots of interest in it too. If you want to go non-profit with any money from sales, I know the Index purchase project would love to be a beneficiary.

I'm gonna vote Olympics rather than Vancouver Island, the southern bit of VI just doesn't present that kind of elevation, and I don't think its in that location.

See the lines of sight map I posted on the first page of this thread. I think anything to the right of baker has to be in line with San Juans (Orcas Is is highpoint) or Vancouver Island.

I'm unsure of if it is Orcas or Van Is....anyone for sure on it?

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Don't know specifically because 16 x 20 is too big for a small, low set-up cost digital press. As a point of reference, 500 qty of 11 x 17 4 color one side glossy 20# is $340 ($0.68/ea - depending on lead-time) at a local printer.

I'll do some research on 16 x 20 or the closest economical size. Are you anticipating ordering 100 or less? If so, toner is probably the best bet.

See the lines of sight map I posted on the first page of this thread. I think anything to the right of baker has to be in line with San Juans (Orcas Is is highpoint) or Vancouver Island.

I'm unsure of if it is Orcas or Van Is....anyone for sure on it?

Doh, I missed Darin's "back right" qualification and was looking at the center landmass in the back. I'm gonna retract my rash statement and park myself in the "uncertain" group.

You're fast with the revisions, that map in your first post is a rapidly changing item, really splendid.

I'm down for a print.