Labeled illustration of North Cascades

Steph_Abegg

My final summer project before classes start back up tomorrow....

Due to popularity of this poster, cc.com has decided to turn this into a fundraiser to raise money for the Washington Climber's Coalition to save the Lower Town Wall at Index, which has been threatened with closure. Read more about that at the WCC website:

http://www.washingtonclimbers.org/Current/Town.htm

Details on supporting this fundraiser by buying this poster will be posted in this forum.

Heinrich_Berann_NPS_North_Cascades_labelled_small.jpg

Link to larger image (although with annoying watermark until I guage interest in making some posters to distribute).

I had some fun making this labeled illustration of the major peaks in North Cascades National Park. If anyone notices mislabelled peaks, let me know!

I used an illustration by Heinrich Berann (1915-1999), father of the modern panorama map. Berann was known for his unorthodox habits of landscape manipulation, such as rotating mountains, widening valleys, and vertically exaggerating features. Berann painted four panoramas for the U.S. National Park Service (NPS) that demonstrated his genius for landscape visualization: North Cascades National Park (1987), Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, and finally Mt. McKinley National Park (1994). His work is now in the public domain and can be found here.

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does North Cascades National Park still sell posters of this panorama?

When I came across Heinrich's illustration, I thought it would make a great poster, so I went searching to find if I could purchase one. I didn't find it anywhere, and figured I'd like it labeled anyway, so went about making my own....maybe the park service could be interested in this more extensively-labeled version...?

(I've posted a reduced-size version, so if anyone is interested in making a poster out of it, email me for the full-sized version.)

Edited by Steph_Abegg

wow! That's super!

I wonder if you would make a larger image available to folks who wanted it...

Larger than what's behind the link, I mean..

There's been a lot of interest so far in making a poster out of this. I am still in the process of tweaking some of the details (peak locations, text size, etc). People have been helpful in pointing out some mistakes and making suggestions on peaks to add, etc.

Until then, the annoying watermark (sorry!) will remain at the bottom...

I'm trying to decide between 11x14 size and 16x20 size for anyone interested in printing it into a poster. Any preferences? It matters on how big I make the text.

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Thanks for posting that, Lowell. I'm curious to know how many of those are still out there - I couldn't find any on ebay, if that's any indication of their scarceness. I see they mislabelled Terror (they have the label above W McMillan and Inspiration, a mistake I was made aware of in my first poster edition, but since corrected).

It's time for a new edition for all the new North Cascades climbers out there, don't you think!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

It's time for a new edition for all the new North Cascades climbers out there, don't you think!

Yes, definitely. I think your version looks great.

Here are a few minor observations:

1. Your label for Mox isn't quite right. Mox is roughly below the 'S' in Spickard. ("Hardest Mox" is clearly visible, directly below the 'S'.) The peaks you've labeled Mox are SE of Bear Mountain on the SW side of Redoubt Creek. They are unnamed on the USGS topo.

2. The line drawn from the label for Primus Peak is pointing at Austera Ridge (Tillie's Tower, I believe). To hit Primus Peak, you need to extend the line to the next peak down.

3. Your label for Storm King points to the long east ridge of Mt Buckner. (Buckner does not seem to be well-rendered in the painting.) Storm King is accurately rendered just left of the intersection of a line extending down from the 'S' in Storm King and another line extending left from "Logan".

Lowell - nice beta for the corrections....now, for that NCNP boundary, is that marked on your version? I think for the most part it is correct on my poster.

The NCNP boundary is not marked on the original poster. I just sent you a hi-res photo of the whole thing by email. As my email mentioned, the original poster is quite large, 39x29 inches or 99x74 cm.

I just looked at your NCNP boundary and I do see some problems. Ross Lake is not in the park. It is in a national recreation area. Look closely at your topos and you'll see.

Also, the south unit of the park does not go all the way to Lake Chelan. That too is in a national recreation area. The southern boundary of the park runs from Agnes Creek over McGregor Mountain to Twisp Pass.

----------

Edited to add:

Perhaps the park boundary should be omitted. The original poster was labeled simply "The North Cascades" and the border said, "North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake and Lake Chelan Recreation Areas, Washington." Omitting the boundary would be consistent with the grand vision of the early conservationists, which had fewer man-made divisions.

Edited by Lowell_Skoog

Perhaps the park boundary should be omitted. The original poster was labeled simply "The North Cascades" and the border said, "North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake and Lake Chelan Recreation Areas, Washington." Omitting the boundary would be consistent with the grand vision of the early conservationists, which had fewer man-made divisions.

In the spirit of the original poster, I changed the title of the poster. I've kept the NCNP boundary in for now, but it can easily be removed....