Life Insurance

threeladsdad

Sorry in advance if this topic is a repeat

I discovered this week what the rest of the world thinks about nutballs who like to play in the vertical world. We are evidently an incredible bunch of risk takers. Or atleast that is what the actuaries at the life insurance companies seem to think.

I recently got a quote from a company that started out at $70/month for an $800k policy and skyrocketed to more than $530/month after I turned in my recent climbing history. I haven't been doing that much climbing lately (the last long climb I did was the NF of Vesper which was hardly life threatening) and didn't think much of it when I filled out the inevitable questionnaire. I was honest in my replies to the questions and knew the cost was going to be high. I was frankly expecting a doubling of the premium because of my high risk lifestyle but I was not expecting to get a $5/1000 add on to the basic rate!

Evidently the bean counters think we are a high risk population. I am sure I am not the first person to run up against this and I am also sure that there is a company out there who has a more practical approach to insuring climbers. Does anybody have an insurance broker/company that they like and who doesn't put climbers on the same risk level as alcoholic smokers suffering from complications related to pancreatic cancer?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a something similar but not quite as bad. I think they doubled my rate and took away the double indemnity clause. After about 10 years they dropped the restrictions.

On thing that did help me is that I was climbing regularly which for some odd reason the insurance felt that it was better to climb regularly than not.

Do some shopping around.

This is definitely a topic that comes up from time to time, so it'd be worth taking a moment to use the search function to scroll through the previous threads.

I don't think that there's any way to avoid paying more, but from what I can recall some folks seemed to have found some strategies to dull the pain a bit.