Mt. Elbrus in August?

JGowans

Am planning on traveling around Europe next summer with a trip to Elbrus planned. Not too worried about trying the mountain solo as much as traveling around Russia solo. Anybody interested in a budget trip to Elbrus? Most likely I'll take a train from Warsaw to Moscow and then fly to Mineralinye Vody. There's a company that'll take care of visas and ground transfers for about $200. Probably I'll spend around a few days in the area doing a few acclimating hikes before setting out for Elbrus. PM me if you're interested.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Aerophlot (spelling?) is a relatively safe airline. It flies out of Seattle twice a week. I'm going to Elbrus in August with my climbing partner and meeting our Russian friend & guide in Moscow. Best to some smaller climbs in the Urals before climbing Elbrus. He has told us it's like a big Rainier with approx. 7,000 more vert.

Hey, you guys are both lucky! Not to pick, but just as a point of interest, there is a ton of info on air crashes, air safety, etc out there. You can extrapolate your own risk analysis. All the 'flots spook me...but what do I know, I used to think Swissair was infallible. [Roll Eyes]

Yuppie? I didn't know that there were social or financial strata prerequisites for climbing mountains. Oh well.

As for doing other mountains in the Urals. I agree that it's better to do some smaller climbs which I do intend to do in the Tatras during the summer not to mention the Cascades this winter. Rainier was pretty easy so maybe I'll break a sweat on Elburs [smile]

Good luck Zee w/ your climb. Which guide are you using?

Yuppie? I didn't know that there were social or financial strata prerequisites for climbing mountains. Oh well. What do I know? I'm just a Scottish subject of the Queen's underclass.

As for doing other mountains in the Urals...I agree that it's better to do some smaller climbs which I do intend to do in the Tatras and Urals during the summer not to mention the Cascades this winter. Rainier was pretty easy so maybe I'll break a sweat on Elbrus [smile]

Good luck Zee w/ your climb. Which guide are you using?

Too true. I laugh now living in Seattle how everybody thinks of Ben Nevis as some colossal peak...Mt. Si is about the same height. It can be a bit scary though because of the sudden and extreme weather changes. The wind from the North Sea can be pretty mad sometimes.

I used to serve meals to the crew of Aeroflot. When in Seattle they stay at the hotel I used to work at . They would come in the bar for lunch. The stewardesses ate like lumberjacks and put soy sauce in the chowder ,thats right all of them .I don't think they were very happy people. Maybe it was my"Better dead than red "t-shirt that put them off. Seriously though if I were single and a rich yuppie I would love to do something like that , wait a minute if I was single and rich I would be using drugs again.either way I am good