[TR] Squire Creek Wall - Dick Ridge via Chickenshit Gully 8/22/2009

Pilchuck71

Trip: Squire Creek Wall - Dick Ridge via Chickenshit Gully

Date: 8/22/2009

Trip Report:

Smedley and I decided it was high time to return to our camp at the top of Dick Ridge and check on our gear stash.

We left the car Saturday morning under cloudy skies, optimistic that the weather would be kind to us.

We did our due diligince in getting the road work out of the way and then proceeded to work our way up the old trail to Big Tree and the approach slabs.

We scrambled the slabs to Bathtub Ledge and then on up to Hooter Cave.

We traversed Strawberry Ledge to the corner of the Illusion Wall and took two rappells to reach the ground and work our way into the Black Gully of Death.

We worked our way up the gully to a dead end and Smedley led a nice short pitch out and around to reach the traverse to Chickenshit Gully.

We climbed the route using a running belay for all but two short pitches.

On the descent we downclimbed again using a running belay.

We continued downclimbing until the bottom of Chickenshit Gully where we took four rappells to reach the ground and the traverse back under the Illusion Wall.

Enjoy some photos!

SQW overview

P9200541.JPG

The Woods Wall

P8220049.JPG

The approach slabs above Big Tree

P8220051.JPG

Looking up from Strawberry Ledge

P8220079.JPG

P8220081.JPG

Getting ready to exit The Black Gully of Death

P8220116.JPG

Ascending Chickenshit Gully

P8220155.JPG

P8220154.JPG

P8220148.JPG

P8220162.JPG

Olympus Ledge

P8220176.JPG

Dick Ridge

P8220180.JPG

P8220190.JPG

Three Fingers from Camp

P8220219.JPG

P8220218.JPG

Downclimbing

P8220186.JPG

P8230244.JPG

P8230250.JPG

P8230267.JPG

Dick Ridge from the Buttrest

P8230256.JPG

SQW Stitch

P8230259_stitch.jpg

Gear Notes:

Full set of cams, Full set of Nuts, Mountain Runners and 2 100' 8.6 mil ropes.

Approach Notes:

Easy Squeezy Lemon Cheesy

Edited by Pilchuck71

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats it rated?

Ya know..I am not sure.

It takes me a full day to get to the top of Dick Ridge, so in that light it is a commiting route.

The climbing difficulty varies but the Chickenshit Gully is probably only 4th to low 5th, although there are plenty of variations possible.

Dick Ridge is where things get a little harder. If one follows the crest it is probably in the 5.4 to 5.6 range but if one was to trend to the climbers left things can get more difficult maybe in the 5.8 to 5.9+ range.

The problem with giving grades on this is that it is a huge piece of rock and I doubt any two parties take the exact same line of ascent.

Edited by Pilchuck71

To any that wish to follow, the Black Gully of Death is so named for a reason. There is significant rock fall down this gully on a regular basis.

Very, very true Shapp!

Unless one is into that sort of thing the Gully is best avoided.

My buddy Ken Strong was actually able to climb up and out of the gully through (as in through-read:speelunking style)a remarkable pile of stacked rocks that were at the same time scary and fascinating.

This area of the wall is certainly one I would not recommend. :eek:

Thanks Shapp.

Edited by Pilchuck71

I might also add I heard through the grape vine that a very large rock fall occurred that would have obliterated anyone approaching in the section of the traverse between the approach slabs and the edge of the illusion wall. This occurred subsequent to your August ascent.

No those rocks were there in early August, the newer big rockfall occurred to the west of the illusion wall, over the ledge system, between the illusion wall and the lower approach slabs on the trail before one reaches the illusion wall on the approach.

Edited by shapp

No those rocks were there in early August, the newer big rockfall occurred to the west of the illusion wall, over the ledge system, between the illusion wall and the lower approach slabs on the trail before one reaches the illusion wall on the approach.

You are right about those rocks being there.

When we exited the BGoD Smed belayed from the lowest of those rocks and we actually climbed right out onto the fresh stack in your photo.

ok ok... I've had computer problems all season and havent made any new copies... I'm back in shape now... or will be soon, so email me again and I will get them to you. a bit late in the season but hey... the rocks will still be there in the spring. Thanks for your continued interest and sorry for the delay! :)