high valley, OR

ferg

not real sure where to put this, so , sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

but anyways. it's been about 10 years since i've done any climbing at all my buddy and i shot a little video, and took some pics.

i was taking it easy on this one cause it's been awhile.

but i hope you enjoy. i would appreciate some constructive criticism also.

i'm going up again saturday. it's a 5 minute drive to there for me.

Edited by ferg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live about 15 minutes away, and I have climbed there innumerable times and lead all the cracks below 5.11 (by no means claiming FAs), Only thing worth shooting is rattlers, which are abundant at that spot, of which I encountered more than once at the top of a route while leading. My favorite route is Do or Fly, excellent route, too bad it is so short. If I were you I would get thee hence to Dunns Bluff for some climbing exploration and grouse blasting opportunities before the snow flies (up straight north of Moss Springs for 3.2 miles as the crow flys, along the western edge of the Little Minam Canyon, get the Mt. Fanny USGS 7.5 min topo). Approach by parking at a spot dirrectly west of the small swamp shown on the map, hike over and round to the North then drop down to the bottom of the cliff and proceed south along the cliff to scope potentials, its way bigger than 35 feet tall. Now you owe me a beer :)

Shapp

Edited by shapp

Wholly sheep balls, I just watched the video after getting home from work. I vote this as the funiest climbing video of the year. Bouldering with the pistola is high-larious. Protection in cat-county high-larious, not that I am against guns or hunting (I am all for that) but you got more chance of accidently shooting yourself with your own side arm or getting shot by a hunter than being attacked by a Cougar, and a much greater chance of dying in a car reck than any of these other chances. I worked in the woods for several years all over NE Oregon in the most remote nooks and crannies and only saw 1 cougar, and only 2 in my life, although I know many more went unseen, Although the 2 legged kind can be seen regularly at the Trop or Benchwarmers! Tip on the climbing vid - more climbing. Stay safe.

Shapp

I used to live about 15 minutes away, and I have climbed there innumerable times and lead all the cracks below 5.11 (by no means claiming FAs), Only thing worth shooting is rattlers, which are abundant at that spot, of which I encountered more than once at the top of a route while leading. My favorite route is Do or Fly, excellent route, too bad it is so short. If I were you I would get thee hence to Dunns Bluff for some climbing exploration and grouse blasting opportunities before the snow flies (up straight north of Moss Springs for 3.2 miles as the crow flys, along the western edge of the Little Minam Canyon, get the Mt. Fanny USGS 7.5 min topo). Approach by parking at a spot dirrectly west of the small swamp shown on the map, hike over and round to the North then drop down to the bottom of the cliff and proceed south along the cliff to scope potentials, its way bigger than 35 feet tall. Now you owe me a beer :)

Shapp

thanx for the tip, i will look it up.

i'm all about the "good" beer.

so i assume you lived in cove?

but i just figured this would be some good rocks to start with after about 10 years. i wanted to get a feel for it again. but i hear where your coming from.

Wholly sheep balls, I just watched the video after getting home from work. I vote this as the funiest climbing video of the year. Bouldering with the pistola is high-larious. Protection in cat-county high-larious, not that I am against guns or hunting (I am all for that) but you got more chance of accidently shooting yourself with your own side arm or getting shot by a hunter than being attacked by a Cougar, and a much greater chance of dying in a car reck than any of these other chances. I worked in the woods for several years all over NE Oregon in the most remote nooks and crannies and only saw 1 cougar, and only 2 in my life, although I know many more went unseen, Although the 2 legged kind can be seen regularly at the Trop or Benchwarmers! Tip on the climbing vid - more climbing. Stay safe.

Shapp

thats something i've been asking myself even before you posted.pretty dumb climbing w/a side arm, WTF was i thinking. that won't happen again.

i must be one of the lucky one,s i ran into three couger in the past five years up Catherine creek.

yea, benchwarmers i still there, but the trop has been long gone. i don't know if you knew that or not.

well heck if anything i was glad i could make you laugh :lmao:.

but seriously thankx for not hacking on me to bad. i'll take your advice.... more climbing

take care shapp

oh yea and to add one more thing, i'm not sure how long its been since you've been over here, but their is no more hunting w/dogs for cats. so the cats have multiplied dramatically. their is three that i know of that live right in union. i know a few people up high valley, they say they are everywhere.

IDK. i haven't seen any there, but you never know.

Edited by ferg

it looked cool and silly at the same time, I really got a kick out of it! Thnx for posting that :)

LOL!!! damn after 10years you would think i would have done a little better. but its all good. this is the kind of stuff that i need to know & work on. thank you,,,,, everyone!

i was hoping for some criticism!! :grin:

it lets me know what i need to work on.