Education v. Moronism

Choada_Boy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its unfortunate that republicans have assimilated the christian conservative movement. I think it turns a lot of people off who might otherwise agree with some other tenants of the party's views, like fiscal conservativism - which they haven't exactly been proponents of either, especially under the Bush Admin.

Charts and graphs only, please. No sense arguing with words when data work best. Just the facts. No opinions allowed.

20050524_4.gif

20050524_5.gif

speaking of moronism, I highly doubt a moron like you knows diddly squat about evolution - either at the macro or the micro level.

Gee, I wonder if reading Gould's "Structure of Evolutionary Biology" would have clued me in?

I live in a country where major film distributors would not show a biographic motion picture about Charles Darwin. Need I say more?

I guess I will. My financial plan: invest in cave real estate and stone tool technology now. It will be really hot 20-30 years down the road but I am not sure if we will last that long.

Paraphrasing: those who deny evolution should be consistent in their beliefs and obtain healthcare in cave hospitals by cavemen doctors with herbal remedies the development of which did not depend on research.

This doesn't really have to do with Christianity vs. scientists oe whatever as 'intelligent design' can account for many different religions and/or cults.... just saying.

chode-boy's existence is a great counterargument for ID.

by that logic, we must be all merely chance accidents...the proof to that logic walks (crawls???) in the form of KEVBONE!

This doesn't really have to do with Christianity vs. scientists oe whatever as 'intelligent design' can account for many different religions and/or cults.... just saying.

Get real. "Intelligent Design" is the specific product of a specific organization called the Discovery Institute, which originally pushed an anti-evolutionary doctrine called Creationism. It is funded by the American evangelical christians; not other religious sects or cults. The teaching of 'intelligent design' in schools was dealt a fatal legal blow after a PA court ruled that it was simply 'creationism' (the teaching of which had already been ruled unconstitutional in a previous Kansas case) with the named changed (discovery documents were rather damning, they were the very same papers as those advocating the now outlawed 'creationism', only with the word 'creationism' crossed out and substituted with the phrase 'intelligent design'...with literally no other changes. Ouch! The ACLU's legal team practically broke out martini shakers right in the court room when that shit came up...but the whole trial was like shooting fish in a barrel, really).

Charts and graphs only, please. No sense arguing with words when data work best. Just the facts. No opinions allowed.

20050524_4.gif

20050524_5.gif

Going to be an increasingly heavy millstone around the Republican party's neck in the future. I'm hoping that they'll escape from this trap somewhat by redefining the scope of "Big Government" to include state interventions to prohibit things that consenting adults do to themselves or others in private, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

It's also worth noting that all of the data I've seen suggests that the tendency to believe in all manner of paranormalisms, bogus health modalities, etc actually *increases* with education. The only exception to this trend that I can recall is amongst people who study the natural sciences, and I think that you only really start to see diminishing credulity once people in these fields hit the senior/graduate level.

Short summary:

-Highly educated, politically liberal people are more likely to believe supernatural claims made outside the context of traditional religions.

-People with limited educations and a conservative political outlook are much more likely to believe supernatural claims made in the context of traditional religions.

I don't think either generalization offers much hope if the goal is to diminish the country's aggregate credulity. Are we really better off if the atheist sociology post-doc that giggles at creationists simultaneously believes in reiki, homeopathy, and reincarnation? I think you can make an argument that the answer is, on balance, "yes," but it's hard to see it as an unmitigated triumph of education on behalf of science and reason.

Short summary:

-Highly educated, politically liberal people are more likely to believe supernatural claims made outside the context of traditional religions.

-People with limited educations and a conservative political outlook are much more likely to believe supernatural claims made in the context of traditional religions.

I don't think either generalization offers much hope if the goal is to diminish the country's aggregate credulity. Are we really better off if the atheist sociology post-doc that giggles at creationists simultaneously believes in reiki, homeopathy, and reincarnation? I think you can make an argument that the answer is, on balance, "yes," but it's hard to see it as an unmitigated triumph of education on behalf of science and reason.

At least I am contributing to our survival but we need to breed faster, stronger and harder...

FYI: interesting book - "DARWIN'S RACISTS - YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW" by S. Sebastian.

"Very, very Christian, biblical worldview: and nothing objectionable.[The book] exposes the real Charles Darwin: a racist, a bigot and 1800's naturalist whose legacy is mass murder. This well written book shows that Adolf Hitler, along with other genocidal mass murderers, was influenced by Darwin's half-baked Theory of Evolution. This book exposes Darwin's Theory of Evolution for what it is: an elitist and racist dogma that has infiltrated our every area of culture thereby undermining sense and sensibility."

I thought this thread would be an appropriate place to let everyone know that I am trying to find new members to join my cult. It goes like this:

One time I starved myself for a week then dropped some acid and saw a flaming unicorn that told me I held the key to becoming God and that everybody can PAY ME 10,000 a year for 5 years for me to give them God Water that I stare at to make it full of power.

Any Takers?

I thought this thread would be an appropriate place to let everyone know that I am trying to find new members to join my cult. It goes like this:

One time I starved myself for a week then dropped some acid and saw a flaming unicorn that told me I held the key to becoming God and that everybody can PAY ME 10,000 a year for 5 years for me to give them God Water that I stare at to make it full of power.

Any Takers?

Where do i sign up? I really want to be part of something!

Public Scools=Epic Fail

P.s. Where the hell did you find that graph? Probably made it on Excel, huh?

Any Takers?

Where do i sign up? I really want to be part of something!

PM me your credit card # and salvation is garunteed!