Matterhorn Travel Info Request

I've heard there's some very cheap sleeping arrangements that can be had in Zermatt. Not much more than plywood boxes from what I hear. Anyone have any info on that, or other lodging, camping info? I'm hoping to score a good price on airline tickets then do the rest of the trip on the cheap. Any other transportation/lodging info greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is camping with showers in Zermatt just down from the train station. There is also a hostel also a block down from the train station. Those are your two cheapest options in Zermatt. Everything else is expensive including the huts.

As for transport - fly into Geneva and take the train. The cheapest and easiest option.

If you are taking a white gas stove look for Essence C at a hardware store. Other wise plan on using cartridges.

I have stayed several places in Zermatt, and the best budget place was Hotel Bahnhof. You can get inexpensive beds in the dormitory or rooms depending on your budget. Lots of other climbers to chat with. Staff speaks English. I'd suggest reservations. e-mail Hotel Bahnhof.com. Also, check into the various Swiss Rail passes. There are various combinations depending on how many places you are planning to go and gives discounts on the trams...it saved me a lot of money. You can basically get off the airplane, buy the pass, hop on the train...next stop Zermatt. I used the huts and saved on fees by having an American Alpine Club membership. I bought food at the grocery store for most meals and had a few restraunt meals for the occasional treat. Hope this helps.

I just got back from my honeymoon in Switzerland. We saw what looked like a decent hostel on the main "strip" that the train station is on. We stayed at a nice hotel in the older section of town for $130/night that included breakfast. We packed our lunches off of the breakfast buffet (rolls, cheese, and salami), so it was a pretty good deal (we were spending about $15/day buying similar lunch stuff at the grocery stores).

Airfare was cheaper for us to Zurich. Switzerland is small and easy to get around in via trains, so don't limit yourself to a single point of entry...

Having a Swiss rail pass is a great idea. We bought a 5-use pass that allows use on any 5 days over a (multi?) week period of time. The pass gives you half off on the lifts that get you halfway to the climbers' hut. Note that they do NOT stamp your pass for the lifts, so you don't have to eat a day on your pass by using the discount.

When do you plan on going, and what route are you doing? I found it VERY hard to be so close to the Matterhorn and not climb it. I will likely head back over as early as next summer.

Second on the camping. Its right next to the train tracks on the East side, North from the station.

There is also a campground in Tasch, the last town you can drive to to get a train in to Zermatt - a little nicer ambience and a little cheaper, if I remember correctly. A good option for a first night or last night on the way out.

Zermatt? Assume you're doing the Hörnligrat.

There's pretty good info on SummitPost

Please write a TR when you get back!

MattHorn2.jpg

photo by Fabioberni on SummitPost

The Berghaus looks nice, it's got dormitory rooms also, type "berghaus" in the name box

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/your_stay/accommodation/hotel_list

Berghaus_Matterhorn.jpg

If your partner isn't able to get permission (boy do I know that issue!) PM me. I'm hoping to go back next summer. When I went in 2005 there were two seperate storms dumping snow on the Matterhorn and it was out of condition. I climbed a bunch of other peaks, but still want the 'Horn. Are you interested in any other climbs in the Zermatt area?DSC00283.JPG