health insurance for climbers

mythosgrl

The insurance company was Assurent. A lot of my classmates like them because they offer really cheap rates if you are healthy. They said they would tack on $40 a month to cover me and my husband for climbing injuries, but would only pay up to 10K in bills for the injury. I work in the healthcare system and know that 10K is nothing if you are injured seriously. Yes, they asked me if i went skydiving, whitewater kayaking, mountain climbing, SCUBA diving OR rock climbing. Anyone have any actual help out there?? Wasn't sure if this post belonged on the climber's board or spray...

I work in the medical school myself and also happened to sustain a few major fall injuries (not climbing related though) a few years back, so here is my two cents.

Although I do have a group health insurance through my employer, the co-pay is still an out of pocket expense that does add up in the long run.

If this Assurent do not lie to you and would indeed cover your climbing injuries for 40$ a month (on top of the regular premium, right?), you got yourself a deal!

Yes, 10K is not enough for serious injuries like neck or spinal injuries (these would run 50K each) but the probability of getting them in rock climbing is rather slim as opposed to more frequently fractured ankles, wrists etc. or torn ligaments/tendons. So think about that.

On the positive note, the 10K would cover the usual suspect injuries (including metalwork!) if you make right decisions on how and where to get medical help.

1. Try to avoid the ER visits and ambulance calls as much as you can. These two are the major money suckers which is getting worse and worse every day.

Go straight to either Orthopedics (bones) or Trauma (soft tissue damage and ligaments/tendons) department with an X-ray facility on site and without an appointment (or get somebody on call, if out of hours, preferably not a resident) and insist they deal with you right away.

REMEMBER: you have this right and they cannot turn you away.

2. You have right to choose the type of anaesthesia (another significant chunk on the medical bill). The prep IV is an absolute waste, for instance.

3. Rehab PT: two sessions max. Just learn the exercises and do it yourself. You do not need someone with a whip to tell you what to do three times a week for a few months.

4. Ask Assurent if they work with preferred and non-preferred providers. If they do, it might save you some money too.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions.

NIL DESPERANDUM!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insurance company was Assurent. A lot of my classmates like them because they offer really cheap rates if you are healthy. They said they would tack on $40 a month to cover me and my husband for climbing injuries, but would only pay up to 10K in bills for the injury. I work in the healthcare system and know that 10K is nothing if you are injured seriously. Yes, they asked me if i went skydiving, whitewater kayaking, mountain climbing, SCUBA diving OR rock climbing. Anyone have any actual help out there?? Wasn't sure if this post belonged on the climber's board or spray...

but not hunting, McDonalds hopping, drunk driving....

Fucking ridiculous.

We need to eliminate private health insurance from this country.

Are consumer protections so weak that the insured is required to inform their insurer when they take up a new sport to avoid denial of coverage?

If not, just say no.

Get real. We're the last civilized, and I use that term very loosely, nation on earth to allow health insurance companies to be for profit. It's a fundamental conflict of interest regarding a fundamental right to equal access to health care; something every other first world nation save our own decided was necessary years ago.

In addition, America suffers from a two problems: Excessive litigation, (oh, we won't cover that), and a general and increasing syndrome of being pussies. "I'm hesitant to rock climb or (or other activity that actually makes life worth living) because some corporation will sanction me for doing so." Go to Australia, Europe, South Africa, or New Zealand and the difference in attitudes towards participating in activities that involve some risk is stark. We suck.

The public option and eliminating for profit health insurance companies addresses both issues.

Oh, and you suck corporate cock, too.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Get real. We're the last civilized, and I use that term very loosely, nation on earth to allow health insurance companies to be for profit. It's a fundamental conflict of interest regarding a fundamental right to equal access to health care.

Can you show me where that lies in the US constitution? Equal protection under the law, of course, lies in the 5th and 14th amendments, but this is no more related to health care than is the right to food and shelter--as found in the old Soviet constitution.

Um, last time I checked nations are allowed to extend the rights enumerated in their constitutions through a variety of means. And, what do you know? All of them already have regarding the right to health care except us. I think it's called something like progress.

Except Zambia, Cameroon, Somalia, and a host of other 3rd world nations that we now emulate with our health care system, of course.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

You're not taking about enumerated rights though. In fact, I doubt you're even talking about implied powers under the Necessary and Proper Clause. What you're talking about is amending (or, IMO, violating) our constitution--and if Congress and the states approached health care reform via this process, I would approve of the legality at least.

No, I'm not talking about any of the above, nor is anyone else, except you, now. The right to health care can be implicitly enacted through legislation.

Let's all focus, people. It's just not that hard.

Tvash:

I'm an attorney and he's right. The U.S. Constitution allows the government to build Interstate highways, clean up toxic waste dumps, and regulate safety in the workplace but they have no business getting involved in health care. The Supreme Court resolved this question in the 1896 case of what's-wrong-with-these-people vs. say-what. Get a clue.

No, I'm not talking about any of the above, nor is anyone else, except you, now. The right to health care can be implicitly enacted through legislation.

Let's all focus, people. It's just not that hard.

Tvash:

I'm an attorney and he's right. The U.S. Constitution allows the government to build Interstate highways, clean up toxic waste dumps, and regulate safety in the workplace but they have no business getting involved in health care. The Supreme Court resolved this question in the 1896 case of what's-wrong-with-these-people vs. say-what. Get a clue.

Matt. I haven't said congress has no power to enact legislation regarding health care. My comments were in response to TTK's contention that health care is a "fundamental right". Clearly, it isn't.

I work in the medical school myself and also happened to sustain a few major fall injuries (not climbing related though) a few years back, so here is my two cents.

Although I do have a group health insurance through my employer, the co-pay is still an out of pocket expense that does add up in the long run.

If this Assurent do not lie to you and would indeed cover your climbing injuries for 40$ a month (on top of the regular premium, right?), you got yourself a deal!

Yes, 10K is not enough for serious injuries like neck or spinal injuries (these would run 50K each) but the probability of getting them in rock climbing is rather slim as opposed to more frequently fractured ankles, wrists etc. or torn ligaments/tendons. So think about that.

On the positive note, the 10K would cover the usual suspect injuries (including metalwork!) if you make right decisions on how and where to get medical help.

1. Try to avoid the ER visits and ambulance calls as much as you can. These two are the major money suckers which is getting worse and worse every day.

Go straight to either Orthopedics (bones) or Trauma (soft tissue damage and ligaments/tendons) department with an X-ray facility on site and without an appointment (or get somebody on call, if out of hours, preferably not a resident) and insist they deal with you right away.

REMEMBER: you have this right and they cannot turn you away.

2. You have right to choose the type of anaesthesia (another significant chunk on the medical bill). The prep IV is an absolute waste, for instance.

3. Rehab PT: two sessions max. Just learn the exercises and do it yourself. You do not need someone with a whip to tell you what to do three times a week for a few months.

4. Ask Assurent if they work with preferred and non-preferred providers. If they do, it might save you some money too.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions.

NIL DESPERANDUM!

But what do I do if I get a tension pneumo from getting high and biking into a pack of coyotes?

those that believe in evolution can't be for universal healthcare. it totally ruins natural selection after all.

Stay healthy or die.

However, "a British film about Charles Darwin has failed to find a US distributor because his theory of evolution is too controversial for American audiences, according to its producer":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html

Even the arch-conservative Pope John-Paul II accepted the Darwin's theory of evolution! How are we to maintain a leading role in the world if our understanding of science is medieval, at best?