health insurance for climbers

mythosgrl

I am in the market for health insurance and I talked to a company that gives pretty cheap plans yesterday, but they asked if I rock climbed and I told the truth... They said they would not cover me if I got injured climbing. Ugh!! Frustrating...

Anyone know if all insurance companies ask that question? Anyone have a cheap plan now that is basically catastrophic insurance, but would cover a climbing accident? I will be living in CO, so I would have to go through a company that had contracts with providers there. Thanks for your help! :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might as well be telling them..."i'm a risk fueled adrenaline junkie....how much do you charge to insure that?".

i'm pretty sure you can find rock climbing insurance...but it won't be cheap.

i have never heard of a company asking that question, but if you volunteer it, i'm sure they will walk away or triple your rates. it is the insurance racket...i mean industry.

Insurance companies lie as a matter of course about all kinds of things to their customers...promising to actually cover things they have absolutely not intention of coming through one comes to mind. The guys at Honest Abe Cameras are more up front.

Return the favor. The fact that they even ask that kind of question should be a crime. Thanks to the uniquely American love of sucking corporate cock, supported by our now much cherished conservative movement, it is not.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Insurance companies lie as a matter of course about all kinds of things to their customers...promising to actually cover things they have absolutely not intention of coming through one comes to mind. The guys at Honest Abe Cameras are more up front.

Return the favor. The fact that they even ask that kind of question should be a crime. Thanks to the uniquely American love of sucking corporate cock, supported by our now much cherished conservative movement, it is not.

I'm not sure what you are recommending there, Tvash.

I agree that insurance companies lie. My wife spent a lot of time comparing insurance offerings and selected a plan that was not cheap but which offered strong coverage of prescription drugs and then, when we later turned out to actually HAVE prescription drug needs, denied coverage.

But I would not suggest anybody lie on an insurance application. You would only be giving them a free pass to deny coverage.

Not sure what company you applied with. My daughter finished college last year and got a $160/mo policy with BCBS of Washington that covered her pre-existing ACL tear and the required surgery. The only activities they asked her about were skydiving, hang-gliding, and, of course, smoking. Who did you apply with again?

PUBLIC OPTION is the only market-based solution to keep pressure on private insurers against keeping the American people hostage to conspiratorial corporate greed. Whoever does not understand that has JELLO for brains.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/11/head-count-house-progress_n_283756.html

PUBLIC OPTION is the only market-based solution to keep pressure on private insurers against keeping the American people hostage to conspiratorial corporate greed. Whoever does not understand that has JELLO for brains.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/11/head-count-house-progress_n_283756.html

That's a funny statement coming from someone who reads Huffingtonpost to stay informed. :rolleyes:

Of course insurance companys are only in for the money. Why would you run a company just to serve others and not make a profit? If you lie to your insurance and you end up needing a lot of money from them do not expect them to look into you... One of the biggest source of income for private investigation companys is from the insurance industry (a lot of it workers comp). Being in the PI industry id say be carful what you lie about because if the shit does hit the fan and you really are an avid climber, dont expect them not to find out.

Edited by CollinWoods

One of the biggest source of income for private investigation companys is from the insurance industry (a lot of it workers comp).

Not true. If you are injured in WA....it is VERY hard to deny. Therefore the need to investigate is low. WA is very liberal towards the worker. Trust me...I know.

That's a funny statement coming from someone who reads Huffingtonpost to stay informed. :rolleyes:

I do not have the online subscription to the WSJ.

I do not have the online subscription to the WSJ.

Actually, the Limbaugh Letter is your best bet for objective reporting on the subject and for debunking all notions that there has ever been any flaw with the system of corporate self-governance and accountability!

Actually, the Limbaugh Letter is your best bet for objective reporting on the subject and for debunking all notions that there has ever been any flaw with the system of corporate self-governance and accountability!

Pretty much what I'm saying. Huffingtonpost and Limbaugh Letter are two sides of the same coin.

How about this one?

211299311.jpg

The insurance company was Assurent. A lot of my classmates like them because they offer really cheap rates if you are healthy. They said they would tack on $40 a month to cover me and my husband for climbing injuries, but would only pay up to 10K in bills for the injury. I work in the healthcare system and know that 10K is nothing if you are injured seriously. Yes, they asked me if i went skydiving, whitewater kayaking, mountain climbing, SCUBA diving OR rock climbing. Anyone have any actual help out there?? Wasn't sure if this post belonged on the climber's board or spray...