Single Malt Scotch

Kimmo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimmo: you will not like Lagavulin

i don't think it was the peat smoke exclusively that turned me off laphroaig; it seemed it was the fact that there was seemingly nothing besides/beyond the peat smoke. just strong alcohol. it was their 10 year/cheapest stuff....maybe the 15 year or older would be different?

i'll give your recommendation a try.

i don't think it was the peat smoke exclusively that turned me off laphroaig; it seemed it was the fact that there was seemingly nothing besides/beyond the peat smoke. just strong alcohol. it was their 10 year/cheapest stuff....maybe the 15 year or older would be different?

I have never tried the Laphroaig 10 year, only the 15. It is still hardcore stuff. I do like it (but I like Talisker better for a peaty, smoky scotch). I think you'd find Lagavulin to be similar.

There are places you can sample scotchs - notably the Whiskey Bar in Seattle.

I'm not a big fan of Islay malts, largely due to the Laphroig 10. The 15-yo is worlds better. Smoother, less obnoxious with the smoke and the peat. Still not my preference, but definitely a big improvement over the 10.

• 3 months later...
I would recommend trying the Glenlivet 15 year French Oak. It is light and has some of the flavors you describe.

If you hate Laphroaig, stay away from all the following (at least for now): Lagavulin

so check this out: i hate the laphroaig (10, at least), but i fell in love with the lagavulin 16. there is no comparison between the two. yeah they both have peat smoke, but man, there's a difference between peat smoke and rubbing alcohol (laphroaig 10) and peat smoke and sublime sophisticated delicacy (lagavulin 16). wow.

and for the glenlivet: the 18 is worlds more subtle, delicate, floral, smooth etc than the 15. worth the extra 20 bucks for sure. especially if you don't have a bottle a day habit.

so check this out: i hate the laphroaig (10, at least), but i fell in love with the lagavulin 16. there is no comparison between the two. yeah they both have peat smoke, but man, there's a difference between peat smoke and rubbing alcohol (laphroaig 10) and peat smoke and sublime sophisticated delicacy (lagavulin 16). wow.

and for the glenlivet: the 18 is worlds more subtle, delicate, floral, smooth etc than the 15. worth the extra 20 bucks for sure. especially if you don't have a bottle a day habit.

Interesting. I have actually never tried the Laphroaig 10, only the 15 year. I found even it pretty harsh. I was planning on staying away from the Lagavulin, but you have given me pause to reconsider.

Thanks for the suggestion on Glenlivet 18. My scotch usually lasts at least a year, so I may buck up the cash for it at some point.

if your scotch lasts a year, spring for the two listed above. i don't know how well these last after opening (i read the glenlivet 18 lasts well), but definitely worth it if you are a light drinker. why scrimp and save a couple of dollars a month, literally, and have something that allows for such a shallower enjoyment? then again, the two above are the highest price point scotches i have tasted; what awaits me further down this beautifully cursed road?

Interesting. I have actually never tried the Laphroaig 10, only the 15 year. I found even it pretty harsh. I was planning on staying away from the Lagavulin, but you have given me pause to reconsider.

Thanks for the suggestion on Glenlivet 18. My scotch usually lasts at least a year, so I may buck up the cash for it at some point.

Laphroaig 10 is IMO THE BEST Scotch out there for that price. The aroma is so intoxicating, and that smoky, medicinal flavor is so assertive and complex at the same time.

If you like Glenlivet, have you tried the cask strength Glenlivet Nadurra? Now THAT is an incredible Scotch, and I'm not usually into Glenlivet. I'm more of a Highland Park type when I'm not drinking Islay peat monsters.

All this Scotch talk and I had to get a glass. I'm now drinking Port-cask finished 21 year Balvenie. It was a hard call between the Glenlivet Nadurra, Laphroig 10, Lagavulin 16, Balvenie 21, Glenburgie 15 year hand selected single cask, and Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or (Sauternes finish).

It looks like it's almost time to add a new bottle into the mix. I'm thinking either: Ben Riach 15 year Pedro Ximinez finished, Bunnahabhain 18, Auchentoshan 3 wood, or Bruichladdich 14 year Link Series (finished in Grenache barrels).

Edited by malcolm777b

if your scotch lasts a year, spring for the two listed above. i don't know how well these last after opening (i read the glenlivet 18 lasts well), but definitely worth it if you are a light drinker. why scrimp and save a couple of dollars a month, literally, and have something that allows for such a shallower enjoyment? then again, the two above are the highest price point scotches i have tasted; what awaits me further down this beautifully cursed road?

Hmmm...Glenlivet 18 and Lagavulin 16 are what, $70 or $80 in WA? That's what I would consider an "average" priced single malt. Before you get into the the different oaks, take some time and really go region by region and explore the base flavors. I wish I had done this earlier.

Here's a recommended "hit list". Some of these I haven't tried, but come as highly recommended (and are on my list to try).

Oban 14 (highland)

Dalwhinnie 15 (highland)

Balvenie 12 Doublewood (Speyside)

Glenfarclas 15 (Speyside)

Macallan 18 (Speyside)

Highland Park 15 (Island)

Talisker 18 (Island)

Bunnahabhain 12 (Islay)...I wouldn't normally recommend another Islay as you've tried my normal 1st and 2nd choice with Lagavulin 16 and Laphroig 10, but Bunnahabhain is much more subtle.

Auchentoshan 12 (Lowland)

Springbank 15 (Cambeltown)...I NEED to try this one (have heard great things)

Work through that list and you'll see what awaits you down this road.

mmm....

Dalwhinnie 15 :tup: :tup:

Macallan 18 :tup: :tup:

Laphroig 10 :tup: but not for the faint of heart! I was having a little a couple years ago and Mrs. Selkirk decided she wanted to try. I poured a little snifter neat, and before I could tell her to sip slowly she gunned it :noway: She eventually started breathing again but it took a few minutes :P

Have yet to try the others but they're on the list now!

I wish I had the time to write a real reply.

IMHO,if you don't like islays you're either a spineless punk without a shred of guts or a girl. And no scotch should be wasted on you.

Malcolm: Compass Box Peat Monster. Trust me. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. The only thing I'm really looking forward to next week is the delivery of two bottles of the stuff. One for the show, and one for home...

The Oban is great stuff, but here are some you have to go to Scotland to get...at least I did. I got the two on the left at the Dalwhinnie distillery. The Ben Nevis is produced in Fort William, about one salt-water loch away from Oban.

whisky.jpg

The water to make the Ben Nevis comes from this stream (the Allt a'Mhuilinn -- Ft. William in background):

154.jpg

A view from the bottom of the glen:

409.jpg

I wish I had the time to write a real reply.

IMHO,if you don't like islays you're either a spineless punk without a shred of guts or a girl. And no scotch should be wasted on you.

Malcolm: Compass Box Peat Monster. Trust me. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. The only thing I'm really looking forward to next week is the delivery of two bottles of the stuff. One for the show, and one for home...

A heavily peated Speyside huh? I MUST try it. I'll put it on the list next to the other Laphroaigs that I need to try (cask strength, and quarter cask).

mmm....

Dalwhinnie 15 :tup: :tup:

Macallan 18 :tup: :tup:

Laphroig 10 :tup: but not for the faint of heart! I was having a little a couple years ago and Mrs. Selkirk decided she wanted to try. I poured a little snifter neat, and before I could tell her to sip slowly she gunned it :noway: She eventually started breathing again but it took a few minutes :P

Have yet to try the others but they're on the list now!

That's funny. I give everyone a warning when I pour them a glass of Laphroaig. I love that stuff though, and can't get enough of it. I can't believe it's under $40 a bottle. It is neck and neck with Highland Park 15 for my favorite Scotch ever.

Another one I forgot to add to the list last night is another of the "cheaps". Cragganmore 12 is a MUST TRY. You won't believe you just paid under $60 for it.

...then again, the two above are the highest price point scotches i have tasted; what awaits me further down this beautifully cursed road?

You're screwed. I figure that $80 is cheap for a bottle. Sorry.

I disagree with it being "cheap". $80 gets you Highland Park 15, or Lagavulin 16, or Macallan 15. These certainly aren't the Budweisers of the Scotch world. $80 gets you average priced, GOOD Scotch that doesn't have something "special" to it (ie. vintage release, extra old, single barrel select bottling). Expensive, it is not, but cheap....nope.

Hmmm...Glenlivet 18 and Lagavulin 16 are what, $70 or $80 in WA? That's what I would consider an "average" priced single malt. Before you get into the the different oaks, take some time and really go region by region and explore the base flavors. I wish I had done this earlier.

Here's a recommended "hit list". Some of these I haven't tried, but come as highly recommended (and are on my list to try).

Oban 14 (highland)

Dalwhinnie 15 (highland)

Balvenie 12 Doublewood (Speyside)

Glenfarclas 15 (Speyside)

Macallan 18 (Speyside)

Highland Park 15 (Island)

Talisker 18 (Island)

Bunnahabhain 12 (Islay)...I wouldn't normally recommend another Islay as you've tried my normal 1st and 2nd choice with Lagavulin 16 and Laphroig 10, but Bunnahabhain is much more subtle.

Auchentoshan 12 (Lowland)

Springbank 15 (Cambeltown)...I NEED to try this one (have heard great things)

Work through that list and you'll see what awaits you down this road.

Average price for a single malt is around 50-60 bucks. That would be for a decent 12 year (e.g. MacAllan 12 or Balvenie 12).

I think the Oban is good, but like the similar (but better, IMO) Glengoyne 17. Oban also puts out a special release for a few dollars more that is quite tasty (Kimmo - they have it at the E Pine liquor story in Seattle, the last I checked).

Highland park 15 is excellent (and also still reasonably priced).