Hidden Lakes Peak with Kids

KaskadskyjKozak

I took my three boys (ages 11, 9, and 7) up the higher of Hidden Lakes Peaks yesterday. We took the trail until around 6100 feet, then cut left directly uphill. We alternated between easy off-trail hiking and some class 2 scrambling. There were a few harder moves, especially near the top.

We opted to scramble down to the saddle between this peak and its lower, more popular neighbor (the one with the lookout). This involved a lot of class 2 with a few harder moves. Staying right on the ridge had a little bit of exposure here and there.

Since it was a school night and already around 3:30 pm we skipped the trail up to the lookout and hiked out on the trail.

If you have kids that are pros at hiking, this is a great one to do. The scrambling is a blast for the little guys. And the views are fantastic (especially of Eldorado and the Triad).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone here spent the night in the lookout? I am considering doing that at some point and wanted a review of how it was.

I've always thought those lookouts would be nasty - the thought of how many people have done the mile-high club there is just too nasty...

There is a lot of great flat areas above the saddle between the two peaks which might have some a good spots to bivy, BTW.

Haven't spent the night, but I was up there and poked around a bit several years ago, and the Lookout was in nice shape. I bivied in one of the little flat spots in the saddles since the Lookout was taken. Either way it's a truly stellar view :tup: I think to actually get the lookout you'd have to head up friday morning. You'd definitely want your own sleeping bag though :P

• 1 month later...

Spending the night in the Hidden lakes Lookout is one of the greatest such experiences you can have. It's clean, downright homey for a lookout, spectacularly situated at the very edge of the east face of lower Hidden Lakes Peak, and easy to get to. The first time I stayed there, we woke up in the middle of the night to witness the passing of an awesome lightning storm, after which it cleared off to a full moon, with the top of the clouds sitting right at the base of the building, the summits of the North Cascades jutting up through the cloud layer like sharks fins, incredibly beautiful. Highly recommended.