How is Camp Hazard?

Josh Lewis

How is going to Camp Hazard? Is it technical? I hear some people go across the Nisqually, but when looking at maps it seems at though there is a ridge or some sort and I might have heard of a route up that is non technical. I don't mind scambling, but no climbing this weekend. (I'm going with my brother)

Here's a Map:

http://hikrs.com/host/topo/camphazard.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats better Camp Sherman, or Camp Hazard? I don't want anything technical... I was planning to go to Camp Sherman via up Ruth Mountain, and then the ridge to the Camp. So now I'm stuck with the thought... which one should I go to this weekend?

Thanks Pete for the other info.

Edited by Josh Lewis

Because it was named after Joseph T. Hazard, who made the first ascent of the Kautz glacier to the summit.

Which is why I was less discouraged of the name once I found that out. My brother was intimedated by the name and the look of it from a distance so we settled for Camp Muir again, which was fun. Is this one a scamble? Is the route hard to navigate?

But after having been up there twice recently I'd say that there are many more objective hazards on the way up to Camp Hazard than the mild walk up to Muir, depending on how you get up there. The hike past Comet Falls and then up the ridge and snow fields is straight forward, going across the Nisqually and the Wilson will put you on steeper terrain and you have to deal with some rock moats and crevasses.