Show a rookie the ropes?

JGowans

Hi. I moved here from Scotland not that long ago, and would like to get out climbing in the Cascades more this Winter. Although I'm in very good shape and summited Rainier this Summer, I really don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to mountaineering.

If there's anyone out there with the patience to bring me under their wing, I'd love to hear from you. I can offer not much more than wit, banter, and an ocassional bowl of porridge.

Btw, I am in the Mountaineers, and I do plan to take their course this year, but want to be out this winter as much as possible.

Cheers,

Jason

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, when you say "squish", I'm guessing you mean Squamish right? I've been up to Blackcomb a few times but am still not on a locals par when it comes to place names. Yes, I have a harness and shoes and all. I'd be glad to take you up on the offer mate. When?

Just remember though that I'd rate myself as a rank novice concerning technique. I'm not too keen on the mountaineers course myself, but I do imagine I'll learn some good fundamentals...or not??

quote:

Originally posted by JGowans:

Btw, I am in the Mountaineers, and I do plan to take their course this year, but want to be out this winter as much as possible.

Cheers,

Jason

Hey, Jason:

I am a member of the Mountaineers Climbing Committee. Send me a PM and we will talk about climbing over a beer.

Erden.

JGowans- yeah that's cool i like taking new people up... and i was talking about squamish...sorry... there is lots of stuff there at ANY level...PM me anytime you wanna head up as i try to get out as much as possible especially now that the weather could turn sour for the winter...lemme know and cheers scot! [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

squamish kicks ass, but l-worth is where to be this weekend. there should be enough know-it-all partners to go around and show you something worthwhile!
[Wink]

JGowans, stay away from thelawgoddess, she's a maneater, Pat Benetar style. [Eek!] Shhh, don't tell her I told you... [Wink]

Thanks for all the replies. I've got quite a few offers now and I reckon I'll soon get to meet some of you out there.

What's rope-up btw? Is it some kind of bavarian dominatrix thing in leavenworth that i should know about?

seriously, where & when & what is it?

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

she's a maneater, Pat Benetar style.
[Eek!]

I think that was actually Hall and Oates
[geek][MR T]
Oops, she did do a tough-chic song; can't remember the name. Pat Benetar was hot in the '80's, though. Those headbands, that big hair, the spandex, mmmm..... [chubit]

Greg W

quote:

Originally posted by JGowans:

Thanks for all the replies. I've got quite a few offers now and I reckon I'll soon get to meet some of you out there.

What's rope-up btw? Is it some kind of bavarian dominatrix thing in leavenworth that i should know about?

seriously, where & when & what is it?

Where: Everyone is camping at Bridge Creek Campground in the Icicle Canyon.

When: This weekend

What: Drunken debauchery, mass consumption (and regurgitation) of dairy products, and rock climbing.