Need Recommendation on Soft-Shell Pants

airmoss

My Mountain Equipment Co-op Ferrata pants finally bit the dust so I need to replace them ASAP. I am so bummed that they don't make these any more. They are the perfect alpine pants. I've done everything in them from winter accents of Hood, summer scrambling, and lift skiing. I really like the Schoeller fabric for ease of movement and the way it sheds the weather. The other great thing about these pants is that they don’t have ankle zips, but have a nice stretchy shock cord sewn into the bottom of the pant that makes for a nice snug fit over plastic mountaineering boots, or ski boots.

Please help me with recommendations on alpine soft-shell pants!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love the Schoeller fabric. I tend to like knickers as some of the full length pants are too warm for me. I have some Ibex knickers that I love. For colder weather I use Arc'teryx Gamma AR pants. I keep looking for Schoeller pants with zip off legs...that would be my perfect pant. I have used Mammut pants in the past with good luck, but they got chewed up over many years of abuse. The Mammut Courmayeur pants were pretty sweet.

I own a pair of the Gamma AR as well, and have to say they have failed to impress me. They look nice, feel nice, but when it comes to repel-ency after 3 or 4 uses, I have not had much luck keeping them treated.

I would have bought the Patagonia "Guide" or "Super Guide" pants had they been available at my store, as I have heard nothing but rave reviews for patagonia's softshell line.

my 2c

- Guthrie

Check these guys out.

Beyond Clothing

Granted you have to order them but and that takes some time but the pants I got from them are the BOMB. They are my fall, winter, early spring pants. I got an older version of the Cold Play pant. Full side zips and what not. Last year I only wished for tights under them one day and that day was windy cold. Oh and they are the ONLY company I can get pants that fit. What only short people do outdoor activities?

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the softshell pants from First Ascent. Looked great in the ad, figured for $200 they would be just what I was looking for. Upon arrival discovered they lacked crampo-guards, better known as the snag- and tear-resistant hard patches on the lower legs. My old softies lacked them as well and I ended up shredding both lower calves with my crampons over the past couple years, forcing their early retirement. Sent the VA pants back to the company for a full refund. Bought Patagonia Guide pants, a bit heavy but otherwise excellent.