North Sister conditions

PVD

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I returned to Bend yesterday after a week in Nevada to find that the three sisters have had a recent dusting of snow. Not enough to make you want to grab your ice axe- just a light dusting of snow on scree (which makes for pretty unpleasant climbing in my opinion.)

Hope that helps, I haven't seen the traverse myself.

I was up on it about a week ago. The traverse was completely melted out when I was up and so was the bowling alley. Almost no rock fall at the time too. I felt pretty solid the whole way up. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Don't know about the recent snow.

Check ODOT for the 242 closure if that is still in effect limiting access from the west side. If so, find another route over and I'd say go to pole creek TH which is SW of the town of Sisters. From there you can take the soap creek trail and veer off after a bit on a trail which will place you right around the SE ridge of N Sister. I think I'd personally recommend getting up onto the ridge as early as possible..you don't want to keep going up the 'flat' area that parallels the hayden glacier unless you are just going to go up the S ridge of N sister. coming from the pole creek TH taking the SE ridge would be quickest, I believe

good luck

Edited by Water

Thanks for all the responses. I was in Central Oregon this week, but decided to pass on N. Sister after seeing the recent dusting of snow. I've had a couple of pretty unpleasant experiences with thin snow on steep scree. It probably has melted by now with the hot weather down there, but who knows.

Headed into Diamond Peak Wilderness instead; to Fawn Lake, then an easy scramble up Lakeview Mountain. Beautiful area.