What have you dropped?

pink

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbed the Salathe, got to lead the hollow flake. Only thing I dropped was a small 3/4" gear strap, the kind with a plastic buckle.

Dropped a #5 camalot off Green Dragon one time, fell out of the top of the haul bag. Found it and it's still usable.

Didn't really drop it but lost a 2 person 4 season tent on Curtis ridge on Rainier. Had it anchored to rocks and had taken off the fly and nothing was inside. Big gust of wind and heard a noise like the stakes pulling from under the rocks holding them. Looked back and it was already 20 ft up in the air and spinning like a demon. It departed over and down the Curtis glacier at warp speed. Looked for it the rest of the day but never found.

On a bivy 8th pitch on Direct NE Buttress of Slesse. All out of water but a small patch of snow. Was wiping out the stove pot and it flipped out of my hands. Was sitting on a ledge with my legs dangling down the cliff. The pot flipped right down between my legs and I caught it with my feet.

At the finish of the Kain Route on Bugaboo Spire. There's a 35 deg slab/ramp that drops off on the West side. Crossing this slab dropped the #3 Camalot. It bounced and slid down right to the edge of the cliff and caught on a rock right by the edge. Was able to climb down and get it.

My partner took a messy dump from the hanging belay after leading the first pitch of Sea of Vapors.

Sea of Vapors can be really thin some years. If it didn't go you could sling that sh*t up above on the thin spots and wait for it to freeze then climb the frozen sh*t. You could even prep by eating lots of high fiber the day before that way it would be structurally strong frozen sh*t.

You could even design and construct a special tool, like a sh*t slinger. Yeah that's it the new Black Diamond Teflon Coated Titanium Sh*t Slinger.

Would climbing frozen sh*t slings be considered aid? You could even modify the rating system. WI-7 A0-Sh*t.

While putting on my jacket near the top of On Line at Static Point, a golf ball fell out of the pocket and began bouncing down the slab. The third bounce was somewhere in the vicinity of the first pitch and the thing launched out over the tops of the trees at the base. It seemed to fly forever, a white speck against a sea of green, before dropping into the forest way below the base of the crag.

Why there was a golf ball in the pocket of that jacket remains a mystery to this day.

In the Winds, a friend of mine came down with a powerful bad stomach problem. He had to drop trow before dropping his pack and then just pointed sideways off the trail. He blew freezable materials at least ten feet.

Maybe someone could go to the Winds, find the micro-organism that affected my friend, and market that.

Exploring in Red Rocks, I found a single womens approach shoe in the bushes below the upper pitches of Black Orpheus.

My friend and I silently comprehended the obvious epic that ensued for the fateful party.

We also found cams, nuts, carabiners and various dropped items in the same area. It was like an easter egg hunt.

Our new route done that day, The Bandit, paid tribute to the plethora of dropped booty we scooped.

If you do it, you might have a similar experience.

Exploring in Red Rocks, I found a single womens approach shoe in the bushes below the upper pitches of Black Orpheus.

My friend and I silently comprehended the obvious epic that ensued for the fateful party.

Seems I remember reading a TR from gal of an epic one shoe descent a while back, not sure if it was on Black Orpheus though.

• 2 weeks later...
I dropped my almost-new yellow linkcam off the top pitch of "Rock On" in Squamish last week. It had been given to me as a special birthday present last year, so I was sad about having been so careless with it(and dreading telling my S/O of its fate).

On the rap down from the climb, I spotted it near the 2nd rap station, delicately dangling from a tree banch like a Christmas ornament. A happy ending. :moondance:

That's because God love you.

I don't think I have ever recovered any gear I have dropped.