Spokane October 18 (need partner, I know its early

shapp

Will be in Spokane with nothing to do on October 19th, wondering if anyone wants to go cragging. Haven’t climbed in the area before. A little googling indicates that Rocks of Sharon is my style. Have big rack and know how to use it. I like anything 5.6+ and over. Also really like beer. Send me a pm. I live on the west side and climb mostly around Darrington.

Shapp

Edited by shapp

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: I can't find the source but I read somewhere that the normal approach may be closed till they get the new parking area in place. Iller Creek is the suggested approach now and that adds several miles and much more elevation to access the rocks. I think I've got that right but I'll try to figure out where I got that info from and post it here for you.

If I'm in town, I'd be up for some climbing at Minnehaha. There's only a few routes I'd lead there but there's some good TR too if you can overlook the broken glass and cigarette butts. Post Falls has some good routes too. Mostly bolts and TR.

I was just over there a couple of days ago. The south side approach to Rocks of Sharon is open, but there is only room for 2-3 cars at the end of the road. Take Stevens Creek road from the Palouse highway. After a few miles, Stevens Creek road will stop at a three way fork. Take the middle fork, a dusty, brown dirt road that has the faded "private driveway" sign on it. Drive that a bit and you will see a small pullout on your right, where the road is blocked by trees and a large ditch. From there, it is about a mile to Big Rock.

The cracks on Big Rock are dirty, mossy and nasty. There are quite a few bolted routes, but I couldn't find any info on them. Many are easily top-ropeable by scrambling up Big Rock.

Shapp,

second the dirty cracks at Rocks of Sharron. If you want to plug gear got Minnehaha or to McClellan. Some of the cracks can be a little dirty at McClellan, but there are a lot of great lines and some open projects as well. Sport Trad and great bouldering. Hit me up when you come out. If I'm around I'll climb with you.