North East

Mike_McNeill

Mike M,

quote:

I'm running a half marathon in March. I'll check the date. I don't believe it's the 8th-9th so if you want some company walking up Washington another winter ascent sounds good to me! Seeing as how the half marathon goes I'll decide weather or not to try the Boston Marathon in April! It may be I'm biting off too much to chew?!!

Sounds good in March. BTW, are you just getting into this marathon thing? You must be fast, if you can qualify for Boston. I'm not historically a runner, but have been suckered into it by my bro (53). He's always been just a couple of minutes shy of qualifying for Boston.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I new to this marathon thing?!! Hell yes!! I'm not trying to qualify for Boston, I'm just using this as a training incentive for my climbing trip to Nepal, and from the way I ran this past weekend I think a half marathon may be biting off more than I can chew!!! I'm attempting another Presi Traverse in February, but I'll keep the March 8-9 weekend open. I'm always willing to climb that hill!!

The half-marathon I'm running in Dec will be my first...no doubt we can both muscle through the races when the time comes. There are several good 'novice training schedules' on the web, and I'm loosely following one of those.

I've told my bro that if I run a full marathon for him, he's got to rope up and climb something glaciated with me. His reply is "Bullshit-I'm afraid of heights."

Mike -

This was NOT the weekend to be in the 'Gunks but if you get the chance to head there when it is sunny out, it is a MUST GO. It has friendly rock with the coolest overhang climbs around, and almost all the climbs are extremely well-protected without bolts. You can get excited at all grades from 5.2 to 5.13, and you can walk to the climbs on a flat roadbed. There are litterally hundreds of high-quality routes there.

"'novice training schedules' on the web"?

Rob if you don't mind post or email me the addresses. I'd love to look at them! As far as being afraid of hieghts, so am I!! That's why I use protection!

Matt, Yes the weather did suck this past weekend that's for sure. I definitely plan on getting there, but probably wont be until next year some time. Maybe we can hook up then if you're planning a return trip.

Mike, mattp,

while the weather sucked downstate, it didnt rain in the Adirondacks until Sunday afternoon.

got completely worked on a classic 5.8 crack at Chapel Pond on Fri, but all-in-all a great weekend to see the leaves!

Adirondack Autumn, from the summit of Pok-O-Moonshine

Craig Meisner climbs the 5th pitch of the classic Regular Route with Cave finish on Chapel Pond slab

Pok-O-Moonshine

Alex leads a classic 5.8 on the Creature Wall

[ 10-15-2002, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]

Hey Mike,

Re: training schedules, I've got 3 that I printed out, and I've kinda been using a hybrid of the 3. Runnersworld.com has a good one. You can figure which equivalent week you're currently on, and work into the schedule. Halhigdon.com has a longer, more-involved schedule. Then I have a 3rd that I don't see a name on (got all 3 with a google search).

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rob,

The training is going pretty good. Ran my first 5K this past weekend and have another 5K, as well as a 5 miler, set up for next month.

Tried to get one more rock climb in this past weekend before the ice gets in, but it was too wet.

I'm planning on doing Mera and Island Peaks while in Nepal, but I'm sure I'll get more excited about actually "seeing" Everest!!! And I just know that once I lay eyes on Everest, I'll want to climb it!!

I just found out over the weekend that the New England High School Wrestling Tournament is the weekend of March 7-8th. So, unless he boy gets knocked out early, I my not be able to climb Mt Washington until Sunday the 9th if you're still be in the area.

Talk to you lata,

Mike