North East

Mike_McNeill

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Caveman, I certainly understand.

Rob, I attempted a Presidential Traverse in Feb of 2001 as training for Denali but got blown of by high winds. I'm planning another attempt this winter as more training for Mera and Island peaks in Nepal. Let me know which weekend you're planning on climbing and if it's not the weekend of my 1/2 marathon I'd be more than happy to walk up that hill with you, or if you prefer we can ice climb up Pinnacle Gully!!

(Well look at that, I found a climbing partner in a Cascade's forum!! What will they think of next? LOL!!)

The Presidential Range in the winter is awesome. One day I was on Mount Adams when the wind was so strong that we were blown accross the slope, in little "hops," while just sitting down. We had to use our ice axes to claw our way back to timberline so we could rejoin the party back at Grey Knob (I think it may have been New Year's Eve or something). This was over thirty years ago.

If you want to join us in the Gunks this weekend, look for the old guys with helmets on.

Mattp, Thanks for the invite, but unfortunately I can't make the Gunks this weekend, and as far as your description of the Whites 30 years ago? It's still the same these days as well!!!!!

Leejams, let me know when you're back in the area. I went to Rumney for the first time last month and would love to go back. Seems like every route had some kind of overhang which gave me all kinds of problems so I'm looking forward to going back and work on this!!!

[ 10-11-2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Mike McNeill ]

Mike, I'll be in Boston the week of Mar 10, so I was think Mar 8-9 for Mt. Washington, if the weather cooperates. I'm not an ice climber, unfortunately...made up my mind that 42 is too old to start that one.

You mentioned you were running a marathon in Jan. I'm going to try my first one that next weekend in March (15th).

Mike,

I know that Rumney is predominately sport, but Holderness School Corner is a classic, classic trad crack/dihedral. Give it a go if/when you get the chance. It's a great line. The Whimpy-Gillman is also a fun one! It goes at 5.6 and it's bolted. Lot's of other great routes. Rumney is also a sweet place for ice come winter. Ocasionally I travel back to the Northeast to visit friends and climb rock and/or ice. No plans for anytime soon, but if I'm headed that way I'll try to let you know.

-Paco

Hey Rob,

42 is too old to start Ice climbing? Damn I've just started and I'm 49!!!

I'm running a half marathon in March. I'll check the date. I don't believe it's the 8th-9th so if you want some company walking up Washington another winter ascent sounds good to me! Seeing as how the half marathon goes I'll decide weather or not to try the Boston Marathon in April! It may be I'm biting off too much to chew?!! [chubit]

Paco,

I've never been to Holderness School Corner. Where about is it? I'd love to check it out someday. Yes, the Whitney-Gilman Ridge on Cannon cliffs is my goal for next season. One of New Englands classic climbs! I didn't realize that it was bolted? And by all means, if you're ever in the area let me know!

quote:

Originally posted by Mike McNeill:

Paco,

I've never been to Holderness School Corner. Where about is it?

I had to stand in the corner once at Holderness. I went to school there and wasn't always behaving.

It's funny, because I found THIS web site back in 2000 while looking for an ice climbing partner for North Conway in December. I was cruising the internet for climbers back east. Ironically, I DID hook up with a guy from Boston who frequented this site. We climbed all the good stuff in two days at Frankenstein cliffs.

I also hooked up with Al Hospers from New Hampshire while in Canada. He runs the "White Mountain Report". You can get his weekly email newsletter at:

http://www.neclimbs.com/wmr_subscribe.html

If you email Al, you will find a veritable gold mine of where to climb and find a bunch of partners.

Being from Maine, I can't wait to visit my parents again. I always try to find time to get over to the White Mountains. Oh, and I still have a date with Tuckerman's on my Tele Skis someday!

And for any west coast climbers who think that Mt. Washington is just a bump on the map, think again. I'd be willing to bet it's killed more climbers than Mt. Rainier. What a great time of year to be in New Hampshire or the Gunks!

Mike, send me an email and I'll give you the name of the guy from Boston I climbed with. You guys are about the same age.

[ 10-12-2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mike McNeill:

Paco,

I've never been to Holderness School Corner. Where about is it? I'd love to check it out someday. Yes, the Whitney-Gilman Ridge on Cannon cliffs is my goal for next season. One of New Englands classic climbs! I didn't realize that it was bolted? And by all means, if you're ever in the area let me know!

Sorry to confuse you. The Whitney-Gilman is a stellar route in Franconia Notch area (very close to where the Black Dyke ice climb forms) and it goes for 5 or so pitches with the hardest at 5.9 I think. I haven't done the route, but a friend of mine has. This route does not have bolts. The Wimpy-Gilman is a bolted, one pitch 5.6 route up an easy arete in Rumney near where the great ice climb Selson Blue forms.

The climb Holderness School Corner (5.8 trad crack/dihedral) is very close to the main parking area. Follow the trail out of the back left corner if facing the cliffs. For better info check out the Rumney Guidebook.