New Routes in the Northwest

Blake

After getting to climb and repeat some of the new routes in the area which have been established over the last few years, I have been inspired to list them out with links to topos/descriptions. My hope is to keep adding to this list with new routes or ones I missed along the way, so if you see omissions, please let me know.

Perhaps next time you are sitting around planning your weekend but not feeling inspired by the routes you haven't done in your guidebook, you can get some inspiration here. It would also be great to see some of the newer routes get deserved traffic and become the area classics!

Here's the link -> New Routes List

Golden_Staircase1.JPG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work, Blake. :tup:

Mine doesn't quite fit in with the alpine stuff, but I've got a pile of topos of recently-developed crags around the Icicle(Memorial Buttress, Bridge Creek Crags, O-zone, etc) that were given to me by an anonmyous source last year. Been wondering how to disseminate the info without offending whoever originally made them up(they look professional in quality but show no copyright info). If I get to Rope Up, maybe I should "accidentally" leave a few copies of them lying around? :whistle:

by an official timer? :laf:

no... more like if they are all really grade IVs or not

Hey John,

I'm not sure what you mean about "verification" of grades. I always assume that a team's first impression of the route is just that... a first (and singular) impression, meant to give a general difficulty grade. I just wanted to create a handy list of new, unpublished routes for people to have available, supplementing their guidebooks when planning a trip

It's easy to miss a hold, stuff-up a crux sequence, etc on any climb, let alone a new route in the mountains, so a team's reported grade might change with numerous repeats. Unless climbing them myself (example, The Passenger) I wont list routes any differently than how they were reported in the AAJ, NWMJ, etc by the folks such as yourself who were ambitious enough to climb them for the first time.

In this thread and previous others, you've alluded to people reporting their new grade III routes as grade IV. Are there certain climbs that you are referencing?

Yes, cool list Blake. A new Select-type guide would be in order. CC.com route wiki may provide one mode of dissemination.

The grade IV defn of 'all day' is pretty vague. Lynn Hill did the nose in a day, and others may take all day to do Dierdre. Instead just list a the number and difficulty of pitches (8 pitches, 5.11- vs 17 pitches 5.6 and/or length (500ft, 1500ft, 4000ft).