Carver Bridge Cliff Access

carverbouldering

The landowner has become very unhappy with climbers recently and is very seriously considering closing the area to climbing.

He plans to make that decision mid-September.

If you are a member of the Carver Climbing Club you should contact the club to find out what steps are being taken to keep access open.

You can email them at info@carverclimbingclub.org

A complete list of the rules is available in this blog post: Carver Bouldering Blog

The one rule that may have just changed last week is that the Carver Club is asking that no dogs be taken out to Carver.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Right now just be extra cool when you're out there and if an older guy comes up and ask to see your ID or if you've signed the waiver, be very polite."

Well said....I'd add, that if you see others there be pro-active and asked them this and discuss the other rules before the "Old Guy" arrives.

I once helped some ranchers birth some sheep in early spring while hunting Carnelian Agate. I just wanted them to unlock a Weyerhauser gate so I could access a stream bed and I knew they had the key. Instead, I saw they were damn busy so I gave up my day to help. Basically I helped them birth lambs (this is as much of an assholes and elbows hustle up job as I've ever done). The ranchers, a man and a woman alone who were radically understaffed and could have used 3 or 4 more hands) were eternally grateful. I was eagerly, heartily and happily greeted as a close friend and partner each and every time I showed up thereafter. Many others were later refused access, it turns out the ranchers could make the call based on the attitude test.

If we all keep the landowners needs on the top of the things to be thinking of things will end up OK.

It sure would suck if the only GOOD bouldering in the PDX area got shut down. I live 20 minutes from this place. Sadly, I can see why Mr. Rosenbaum would want to close the place. Almost every time I go to Carver I see climbers drinking beer and rockin' ganja. I have nothing against these activities and frequently partake myself, but Carver IS NOT the place to do that! Especially when you have twelve year old Twilight tourists walking around.

I also know that many, many climbers climb here without signing the waiver. It takes two minutes, just sign it! Go to the Circuit gym, they don't even charge you...

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I will be surprised if I am able to climb at Carver next month...

It sure would suck if the only GOOD bouldering in the PDX area got shut down. I live 20 minutes from this place. Sadly, I can see why Mr. Rosenbaum would want to close the place. Almost every time I go to Carver I see climbers drinking beer and rockin' ganja. I have nothing against these activities and frequently partake myself, but Carver IS NOT the place to do that! Especially when you have twelve year old Twilight tourists walking around.

I also know that many, many climbers climb here without signing the waiver. It takes two minutes, just sign it! Go to the Circuit gym, they don't even charge you...

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I will be surprised if I am able to climb at Carver next month...

You need to edumacate those who do not have a clue then or it's on you as much as them. I haven't been to carver for years, but it seems like you guys that do go there need to be proactive. Just be calm and let folks know all the details when you bump into them. Be proactive and things will be fine, let it slide and the landowner will have no choice it appears.

Good luck!

one update:

http://www.carverclimbingclub.org/news-and-updates-1'>http://www.carverclimbingclub.org/news-and-updates-1

basically, you're not allowed to climb at carver unless you've ALREADY signed a waiver: no more 'memberships'/waivers will be handed out until further notice.

there's also a more lengthy description of what's been going on at the front page:

http://www.carverclimbingclub.org/

and other details at

http://carverbouldering.blogspot.com/