[TR] Minuteman - East Face (5.9 or 5.10) 8/28/2009

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Minuteman - East Face (5.9 or 5.10)

Date: 8/28/2009

Trip Report:

On the 10-hr drive back from the Valhallas in BC (my second time there this year), my partner David and I were getting tired of sitting in the car, so we decided to stop to climb at Washington Pass off HWY 20. The East Face of Minuteman Tower was a great way to break up the drive!

As usual, I've posted a full TR and photos on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/minuteman

Photo overlay of East Face route on Minuteman Tower:

IMG_8856croproute.jpg

The stellar 5.8 handcrack on the upper shield. Just this pitch is worth climbing the route!

IMG_08121.jpg

Again, the link to a full TR and photos on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/minuteman

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you find some of the middle pitches (maybe pitches 2-3) to be really manky and gross?

There was a short ~20ft section of really weathered "wonder-if-this-handhold-will-crumble-off" kind of climbing right before the lower half of the chimney. But it looked to me you would have to climb this section whether or not you chose the crack bypass or the chimney. Tbe chimney itself was good climbing. Other than that 20ft section, the route was great.

that route is a stupid piece. If it were in the sawtooths, tetons, winds,beartooths, ect..... it would be a NO star route. I would not recomend that people climb this route, a route cannot be a "classic" and only have 70 feet of good crack. The descent is going to get someone killed, rapping off a single four inch slung root. Come on WA climbers bring a drill up there and put in some real anchors this anit no wilderness and it anit no party. The lower pitchs are so manky.....not worth your time and burdo don't know dick about shit when classic is concerned.

Yes I know what I am talking/typing about I have been on a summer alpine trip since July.

that route is a stupid piece. If it were in the sawtooths, tetons, winds,beartooths, ect..... it would be a NO star route. I would not recomend that people climb this route, a route cannot be a "classic" and only have 70 feet of good crack. The descent is going to get someone killed, rapping off a single four inch slung root. Come on WA climbers bring a drill up there and put in some real anchors this anit no wilderness and it anit no party. The lower pitchs are so manky.....not worth your time and burdo don't know dick about shit when classic is concerned.

Yes I know what I am talking/typing about I have been on a summer alpine trip since July.

:lmao:

i hear you on rapping off bullshit, having just done the n face of index thang - at 260 lbs, fully loaded, i get massive testicular shrinkage putting my life on shrubbery :)

• 3 weeks later...

I would rather trust my life to the wonders of nature than to some dipshit chalk-snorter straight out the gym. Bolts rust, are subject to freeze-thaw cycles, are placed improperly, or are placed in shitty rock. I would rather have an anchor that I can personally inspect and decide whether or not to trust my life to it-- but thats just me. ps. good route.

Edited by his_radness

• 8 months later...

have you rapped off of that pitch? You can't improve it without a bolt or leaving gear, and it's basically a tall, skinny slung block with a sloping bottom sitting/leaning on a sloping ledge, and it's all lucky to still be standing there. i took a deep breath and said some prayers as soon as I weighted that thing...

i won't climb that route again because of that rap.