Dropping a Tree

Kimmo

For those with felling experience greater than my own....is it wise to steer the tree by first trimming weight (large branches) on the opposite side from where you are hoping to drop it?

When the side you'd be dropping branches from is over a structure then that further complicates the job. You'd have to line down all the timber you wanted to unweight and climbing / limbing / lining is yet another skill set and also requires a competent ground person as well.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly, how'd the logging operation go? After all your shit talking let's see the fruits of your excelsior strivings.

"more importantly"? i see where your priorities lie, missy.

i do believe the mounties are calling: put on yer muthafucking helmet!

Too bad your amateurism doesn't stop at your erstwhile comedic musings.

my recommendation is to buy about $5000 dollars worth of new equipment for this project so you'll be ready in case you need to cut down another tree in a couple of years. also wear a helmet and gaitors and work out a system of commands with your belayer. and stay away from cotton...it doesn't dry out well if you get it wet and is the leading cause of death with outdoor aficionados.

What bars...? Both of those saws are weak and are going to have short bars which will necessitate a more complicated cut which makes matters that much more difficult and dangerous. I'd really recommend scouting up a bigger saw with at least a 36" bar. Some thing on this order (Huskie 372xp, but with a 36" instead of that 28" bar) would be the minimum sort of deal I'd want to launch at this tree with:

one's got a 26" bar, the echo a 20". yeah i may end up renting a bigger one, if'n i do the drop. i can't justify dropping a grand for something i'll use only a few times....and unless you know of one for sale....