Direct belay over edge with auto-block - opinion

SplashClimber

Would this work just as well with a friction device (aka auto-block device, examples: BD ATC-Guide, Petzl Reverso line etc.)?

LongDirectGrigri1.JPG

My guess is not too well, because with friction device you would need to have the master point alot higher to be able to milk the rope through the device? And so the Grigri works well in this situation because angles & height do not matter (a question?!)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used my ATC Guide in autoblock mode on a slab climb and it was okay, but as I recall, I had to bend over a lot.

I'm in complete agreement with cbs... as the angle of the climb decreases so does the comfort of the stance required to belay in that way. On a slab with the guide I belay off my harness with the rope running through a directional piece so the weight doesn't come directly on me. :)

I've used knotted set-ups remotely like you illustrate, but realized they were a bit weird and backed off somewhat.

You mention the Grigi.

I've never really learned to use them. They seem weird, heavy and expensive, to say nothing of a bit complex.

Have used Munter hitch a fair bit. Virtue is simplicity and effectiveness vs many other devices. Mostly I've been on 2-3 pitch routes, where potential rope tangles aren't a terribly major issue.

There IS means of dealing with Munter that minimizes problem, though I've got only a 50-50 chance of getting it right.