[TR] Cathedral Peak - SE Buttress 8/29/2009

chimbo

Trip: Cathedral Peak - SE Buttress

Date: 8/29/2009

Trip Report:

I just moved down here from PT so I was anxious check out the Sierra. We did a six pitch 5.6/5.7 classic in the Tuolumne area of Yosemite.

-18.jpg

SE Buttress of Cathedral Peak 10,991 ft. A pretty cush hike in had me missing slide alder.

-24.jpg

Echo Peaks

-33.jpg

The route had a bit of everything... a fun chimney, face climbing with huge knobs, and a few nice cracks. No wonder it gets crowded.

-42.jpg

Paul following the first pitch.

-52.jpg

Looking back at Paul and the first three pitches from inside the chimney.

-62.jpg

-72.jpg

These guys were the first nice people from England I've ever met. They're here to climb The Nose on El Cap.

-82.jpg

-92.jpg

Eichorn Pinnacle is on the bottom right. The only downside to this great trip was the fact that the Park Service caught the forrest on fire. No access to the valley and some smokey air.

Gear Notes:

Free soloing seems popular here.

Approach Notes:

Their fire cut of power at the entrance station so if you try to pay with a credit card they let you in for free.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pictures.

I did this with a friend in 2000. It was a cluster. There were people basically lined up to get on it. The jerks behind us were yelling and bitching to us to hurry up, which we could not do because we were waiting for the party ahead of us the whole way up. And someone high up dropped a large cam that came whistling by, soon followed by a grapefruit-sized rock, etc etc. It was a wonderfully scenic area, though.