Tetons - Symmetry Spire

I managed to get two weeks off for a road trip with my wife and Laura planned to fly out and meet us for an attempt on the Grand Teton and Symmetry Spire. We got our permit for the Grand, planning to get up to the lower saddle and head up the upper Exum the next day - but a cold front came in and plastered the higher peaks with six inches of snow and ice. I've seen the Eiger Sanction and didn't want an epic so we hiked around some of the canyons and then went for Symmetry Spire SW ridge (5.7, seven pitches), which was just below the snow line.

Tetons.JPG Snow on Teewinot, Grand, Owen.

There were a few low elevation objective hazards to deal with:

Buff.JPG

Grizz.JPG Saw one of these guys in the Jenny Lake campground!!

We hopped on the 7 am shuttle across Jenny Lake and headed up the big gully, past two cliff bands where we followed the climbing ranger's advice: "The approach is easy but if you fall you'll die". So we didn't.

Symmetery_Spire.jpg

It's a seven pitch route but we stitched together the 4th and 5th, and probably could have done the same for the last two but it wasn't so clear from below.

Third_Pitch.JPG Laura coming up pitch 3 - I was there - that's my toe!

Fourth_Pitch.JPG Laura on the funky 4th pitch.

Nose_Pitch.JPG Laura on the nose pitch.

Last_Pitch.JPG Laura checking out the last 100 ft or so.

We were watching the storm clouds rake the higher peaks all day and it was chilly. So we got on the summit block, said ok, and hustled down to the rappel station and started the long downhill tromp. Of course we missed the 6 pm boat and they had just discontinued the 7 pm boat a few days ago, so it was another 30 min to get back to camp.

I was a bit beat and my tweaky back was, well tweaky. So with only two days left and me needing a rest day Laura hooked up with some other friends to get up at 3 am for a one day attempt on the Grand - friggin' beast she is! They got turned back by icy conditions but got to just below Wall Street. I hiked around and took some Vitamin I with my G&T!

This was my first time here and I'd like to get back for the Grand and Owen. My wife and I took a northern route back through Yellowstone, which was very cool.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic