early season ice?

danhelmstadter

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the Coleman seracs. Had some fun times up there. It's not the best, but you get to swing your tools. The hillside next to the Coleman has been known to freeze in October. Some of most fun ice climbing I have done. Though I'm not sure what the road condition getting to the TH is right now. North face of Observation Rock in Mt. Rainier NP. I've been up there before in late August/Early Sept. and it is a fun glacier ice climb.

i'm stoked to check out the seracs once the road opens, i remmember seeing them a few times on my way up helio - cool seracs indeed. is it a norm for people to solo boulder style them?

road status updated today:

Until further notice:

Glacier Creek Road, FS 39, off of Mt. Baker Highway is closed to all vehicular access.

*Unauthorized Vehicles Beyond the Road Closure Will Be Towed.

Washout at 3 miles. Road is snow free

Foot traffic: use extreme CAUTION, unstable road at washout.

Dan - If you're game to get out "ice cragging" lemme know...this was my first year out...spent a week in Ouray...followed on a climb of Baker's North Ridge and did some top rope action on Rainier...not comfortable leading yet but always looking to get out for some practice...i've got gear and more than happy to share...ice is addicting...

FS RD 39 – Work Plans:

*Plans may change. Expect Heavy Truck Traffic.

Sept. 3 - Road will OPEN at 5 PM

Sept 4 - 7 - No road work planned.

Sept 8 – Road Work. Watch for truck traffic. May see flaggers. Expect delays.

Sept 9-14 - No road work planned.

Sept 15 – Road Work. Placing road aggregate subgrade rock. Expect delays ALL day of up to 60 minutes minimum.

Sept 16 - No road work planned.

Sept 17 - Contractor will be placing road asphalt surface. Expect LONG delays ALL day. You may be waiting a very long time to get through. Advice…hike somewhere else this week. Maybe Hannegan Pass via FS Rd 32.

Glacier Creed Rd. schedule for the next week and a half.

Cheers.

Jimbo