[TR] Mt. Rainier - DC 8/21/2009

t_rutl

Trip: Mt. Rainier - DC

Date: 8/21/2009 - 8/23/2009

Trip Report:

Had a friend fly in from Michigan who wanted to give Rainier hell. Figured we'd be good. He's in good shape and the bastard has a plush condo in Telluride. Worked remotely for 6 weeks (living at 8k+ and hiking to 12k on a reg basis). Went up Friday to Muir. Kicked it above the clouds on Saturday. Hit the DC on Sunday. Even with all that atop the cleaver he was nauseous and dizzy...no good to go further. Rest of us felt strong but oh's well, the trip was for him. Was happy to be in the alpine and on the glacier. Lugged the picks up to Muir...did some ice climbing in the crevasses below camp...weather kicked ass...the slog to Muir sucked...wont bore with the details but will show part of the album...i will say i was looking forward to the upper mountain...rumors of sketchy ladders and spicy traverses made me think some excitement was to be had...Emmons looked in good shape so may give that hoot in the weeks to come.

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1475.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

Muir Snowfield is tore to shit though

DSCF1495.jpg

Ice climbing was the highlight

P1040127.jpg

P1040130.jpg

P1040151.jpg

P1040159.jpg

P1040124.jpg

P1040152.jpg

DSCF1523.jpg

DSCF1517.jpg

Gear Notes:

ipod, glacier gear, picks and screws

Approach Notes:

slog

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rut, great pics, the meteo looked swell guy. tough for your bud from "left-hand mitten land". nothing like all the conditioning work just to talk to mr. hurley on the big white phone. done it myself. looking to be there in october. manky