Index Broken Bolt Hangers (Sport Wall)

chum

While climbing the route "Calling Wolfgang" on the Upper Town Wall at the Sport Wall area I took a 40-50 fall nearly hitting the ground. My fall was the result of not one but two bolt hanger failures. After climbing to the 3rd bolt approximately 45 feet up I weighted the bolt with body weight to clean holds and scout pro placements above. Upon weighting the bolt I immediately popped away from the cliff as the hanger broke. To my surprise I continued to fall as the second bolt hanger broke as well. I scraped against a small ledge and came to a stop a few feet above the ground. Bruised and well scraped up but not broken. Very lucky.

If anyone is considering climbing routes on this wall I would proceed with caution. This was my first trip up any of the routes on the Sport Wall and I have no idea what the condition of any other bolts may be. I encourage folks to spread the word about the possible condition of old bolts at Index (or elsewhere for that matter). Keep in mind this hanger failed under BODY WEIGHT.

Many thanks to the two climbers who saw the fall and helped to bandage me up. Be careful out there people. Climbing is dangerous.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic