Peak bagging. why?

Rad

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And finally, regarding the umpteenth TR of Tooth syndrome, well, that TR might just offer entertaining writing and beautiful photos, or an innovative viewpoint or treatment, so why not? Reading them is voluntary, after all. In addition, that TR might be about someone's first climb. They're stoked, and they want to share that. Frankly, that keeps all our stoke going, IMO.

The Tooth is kind of a testpiece; at least it was for me. It was my second alpine climb and my first lead (I led it before any sport/trad route). I might consider writing a TR for it (or some of the other mountains I have climbed, for that matter) if they weren't so frequently climbed. It's the "umpteenth TR of Tooth syndrome" that keeps me away from trip reports.

tvashtarkatena: I completely agree with you here.

-Mark

There are so many places on this earth, and I want to experience as many as I possibly can with the one life I have.

nice!! you nailed it, for me!

why is it that i never found a girlfriend who could share this philosophy w/ me?

There are so many places on this earth, and I want to experience as many as I possibly can with the one life I have.

nice!! you nailed it, for me!

why is it that i never found a girlfriend who could share this philosophy w/ me?

Probably because your wife won't let you look for one.

I'd venture to say all climbers are collectionists. Peak baggers, sport climbers alpinists. Kind of human nature then little bit more with climbers.

I think the Mountaineers ht it right with the title their book, "Freedom of the Hills".

I like to peak bag, route bag.....whatever.

Is is downgrading someone's experience cause they climb a mountain by an easy route?

In my case sometimes I like just being in the hills without a bunch of climbing crap.

Edited by TimL

So to the peak baggers then, is it the journey or the summit?

The other day I climbed the West Ridge of Pacific Peak here in Colorado. Went out and did the scrambling part -- which wasn't nearly as nice as I would have thought. I was about 2/3 of the way up the ridge when it turns into a talus slog.

The fun being over and not really interested in tagging a summit, I downclimbed the ridge. Had a great day, didn't feel the need to tag a summit. I rarely do have that urge unless it's fun climbing most of the way to the top or if the views are going to be that much better up there.

Take a peak like Wedge Mountain near Whistler.

Q: Why the fuck would you suffer up the west ridge when you could climb the north arete?

A: You are a peak bagger with no technical skills.

Q: What would typically happen if you did suffer up the west ridge?

A: You would decide that you needed to learn some technical skills like glacier crossing ASAP so you wouldn't have to grovel up that fucking mobile boulder pile choss heap shit mound ever again.

Q: Why the fuck would you suffer up the west ridge when you could climb the north arete?

A: You would decide that you needed to learn some technical skills like glacier crossing ASAP so you wouldn't have to grovel up that fucking mobile boulder pile choss heap shit mound ever again.

harsh... :-)

sounds like how i evolved - but mayhap that's the key? peak-baggers are just lower, unevolved critters? sure would explain tvash's backhair :)

Yep, I was relegated to peak-bagging before I obtained pro skills.

The exception was a traverse of an entire range, which required some simple ascents to complete the traverse. 25 peaks in 3 days. 300ft vertical separation minimum between peaks.

I felt dirty, like a scumbag peakerast.

First off, people get to brag about it, if I told my mom I climbed Mount Stuart, my mom would be amazed because she seen it, but perhaps doesn't know of the non technical route on it. Second if you tell people "I climbed Mount Rainier" they might think great, but it wasn't that hard, but if you do not go into telling them that you climbed the Nisqually Ice Fall and had to use special gear it doesn't sound like as much as it was. Another aspect of the peak bagging thing is also climbing the most famous and highest of the mountains. If you climbed 100 mountains like Mount Si, it would look good on your hiking record but not so much on your climbing Record, if you climbed Mountains like Mount Adams on the easiest route, people are gonna think your strong and hard core (unless they acually know the route which your talking about) even though Mount Adams is not technical and is a walk up (although ice axes and hands might be needed at parts).

Also if someone bags (summits) a big peak, it might make them look like a better climber hence forth them being able to go with people with higher skill levels or atleast that might be apart of the thought process. Now there are other aspects as well. Also people can use the idea of peak bagging to make goals of going places or get in shape. So I wouldn't nessisarly say Peak Bagging is bad, but just another perspective of climbing mountains, there are some that have like peak bagging but also enjoy the mountain as well and don't always have to be at the summit to say it was worth it.

Even though I understand why people peak bag, for me I would say I'm a mix, I like climbing as many mountains as possible but at the same time I like enjoying them, taking photos, ect. I would rather go part way up a really cool mountain that to climb to the top of a few small mountains.

There's my two cents.

This is an interesting thread, but I'm sure everyone has a different answer.

I'm not sure I would classify myself a peakbagger; I have no particular drive to summit as many peaks as possible. But, I am working on the NW 18 "major" peaks (every list is a tad different). I have a few to go, and I've done most by the dog routes.

I've done a ton not on the list as well, but it's nice to have something to aim for as opposed to simply saying, "I'm going climbing, now I have to figure out what."

When I'm done, I'll probably do some tougher routes, and venture further abroad.

Certainly, there is an element of progression in skill related to peakbagging, but there is an element of wanting to expose oneself to as much of this great geography as possible.

Some folks in Seattle would say they will never climb in the Oregon Cascades because of all the loose crap we have to deal with. My list motivates me to hit Oregon, Washington, and California - that can't be all bad!

Started as a hiker

moved to peak bagging, then roped cragging and roped peak bagging

went on to do all types of climbing, guess I'm an all rounder at this point, just enjoy getting out

prefer the most though a combination, peak bagging a peak by a hard route and having no walk up.

whatever trips your trigger

Peak Bagging....

^^ ^^^

^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^

^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^

^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^

^^^^^ ^^^^^

Well, I could have been a peak bagger briefly when I lived in B'ham. I would run around the Baker hwy peaks everyday possible after work. Then I moved to Colorado and went for ice routes and winter climbs and had a few good solo journeys...then I moved back to Portland and blew my ACL...just got back on. Lately, I've been hiking with my wife more then climbing mountains though together we try. We just always seem to run into bears now...the last 5 trips out we have ran into a bear. Can't really climb the mountain behind the bear if the bear won't move out of your way. I do have to say I like going light a lot better then heavy. As mentioned earlier it is the "Freedom of the Hills" that provokes all of us the reach for the journey long or short. The difficulty of the journey is all perspective...Quality counts for my journeys to last. A winter week in Lone Eagle Cirque Colorado hitting ice that was fresh and climbing Thunderbolt mtn via an unprescribed route just reaching the summit after a bolt struck down from a fast moving cloud. Or a solo journey on the south side of Hood intent to climb but I just wandered and counted shooting stars...that night I counted 8. My Grandfather had just passed away that week and he with my Grandmother had 8 children between them...my Aunts and Uncles.