Trekking Poles

spotly

I had my poles (wife's actually) stolen on a recent trip and now I'm looking for replacements. I'd like something UL, easy and sturdy locking mechanism and that collapses to a short length.

I've had poles that use the twist lock and they're always getting debris inside (or something) and locking up. The pin locks on my BDs suck - can't get them to unlock, especially when it's very cold out. I do like the flick locks though.

The poles I have (and had) don't collapse far enough and seem to get caught too often when ducking under rocks and trees. Is there a way to get the carbon fiber shafts shortened maybe, or perhaps a brand that comes in a shorter version?

Ergo cork handles are the bomb but I'm not too picky there.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like BD's stuff...they all weigh in about the same...whether carbon or not...i use the spire eliptic (1 lb 4oz reg, 1 lb 3oz carbon)

they also have their Alpine Carbon Cork model...3 section so collapses down tight...all FlickLocks...full carbon shafts and cork handles...might fit your bill perfect...plus they come in at a pound even per pair

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/alpine-carbon-cork

Maybe not ultralight, but the Black Diamond Flicklock Expedition poles are great. They are totally bomber, collapse down very short, and come in two lengths. They are a lot less spendy than other poles also. I've only seen them in a few places though (Feathered Friends, Marmot).

I finally got tired of spending real money on what is essentially a disposable item.

Fred Meyer has decent poles (not UL, necessarily): cork handles, nice strap, stout locking mech. for $25.

The lightest poles you can get are REI kiddie poles (2 section) for $40...but the ultra cheezy locking mech. will break right away and they don't extend far enough for non Celts.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The lightest poles you can get are REI kiddie poles (2 section) for $40...but the ultra cheezy locking mech. will break right away and they don't extend far enough for non Celts.

au contrare my good man - i'm a 6'7" corn beef n' cabbage eating motherfucker and only buy the rei junior poles - i had one pair sustain regular beatings for 2 years - the bottom line is, all poles disintegrate on a regular basis if you're actually using them, so you might as well get the cheapest thing that still does the job (kinda like sunglasses)