[TR] Mt Shuksan - Price Glacier 8/15/2009

DPS

Trip: Mt Shuksan - Price Glacier

Date: 8/15/2009

Trip Report:

jesselillis and climbed Price Glacier over the weekend. We approached under cloudy skies and got very wet from wet brush. We found a great campsite on a rock bench right below the glacier. We woke up the next day to clearer skies. By 6:30 we were climbing.

We climbed a lot of ice, some it very steep. We simu-climbed some of the easier snow fields. At one point a serac calved off right above Jesse at a belay. Fortunately most of the debris went into a crevasse and Jesse as unhurt.

We summited a little over 12 1/2 hours after starting. We had hoped to get below Winnie's Slide to bivi, but darkness over took us and we bivied on the glacier.

The next day we woke and were on the move by 6 AM. Then, displaying the kind of brillance I am known for, I led us down the wrong way. We survived the descent and made it out to the car 12 hours (!) later.

I retrieved my bike from the Lake Ann trailhead parking lot and rode down to the car then came back and picked up Jesse. It is a wonder I didn't get lost somewhere in between.

All in all a great trip with a super strong partner.

Log crossing

P1000298.JPG

Rock slab bivi

P1000307.JPG

Price Glacier

P1000318.JPG

Close up of Price Glacier

P1000319.JPG

A steep pitch

P1000326.JPG

High on the route

P1000332.JPG

Just before nearly getting clobbered by serac fall

P1000334.JPG

Looking down the summit pyramid ridge

P1000338.JPG

The inobvious descent route

P1000357.JPG

Gear Notes:

Used 6 screws and 2 pickets

Approach Notes:

Edited by danielpatricksmith

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work Dan! Ha I've been looking into doing this in the next couple weeks...too late?

It will probably still go. Bear in mind that there was a lot of route finding and some very steep pitches. And it is exposed to serac fall.

Good on ya, Dan and Jesse, but are you sure that is the Price Glacier? It looks a little different from the pictures in 50 Classic Climbs. Where are the "delicate snow flutings"? Must be global warming. How long is the bike ride between trailheads?

Is the road washed out? Can you drive to the regular park spot just before the creek?

We were able to drive the road all the way to the Nooksack Cirque trailhead which is the end of the road. I can't say what is up the Hannegan Road though.

• 4 years later...

Staring at this route over a couple days this summer, I'm impressed that folks still climb it. Frankly, it scared the hell out of me. It looks like Dan and Jesse climbed it in similar conditions to what we saw this July, maybe worse.

Bold, and a wee bit lucky. That is an ascent that I'm sure you won't forget.

Staring at this route over a couple days this summer, I'm impressed that folks still climb it. Frankly, it scared the hell out of me. It looks like Dan and Jesse climbed it in similar conditions to what we saw this July, maybe worse.

Bold, and a wee bit lucky. That is an ascent that I'm sure you won't forget.

We nearly got taken out by rockfall low on the route and serac fall high up. I feel like a guardian angel was watching out for us on that one and I think we were more than a little lucky.