What to climb

Juan

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

quote:

Originally posted by fredrogers:

Not much to recommend, unless you like large talus fields, shitty, wet, loose exposed approach gullies and loose, crappy rock all the way to the top of the climb.

What's no to like about that? This is cascadeclimbers.com and that sure sounds like the Cascades to me.

Thats what I thought as well. And what a great experience it was! [Eek!] I think the approach gulley would be fun in early season but it was a bit sketcky yesterday. Great views of all the surrounding peaks. I bet there are plenty of great winter climbs in that area. I think the best part of the trip is driving out on the mountain loop highway and seeing a rabbit in the middle of the road jump vertically 3 feet in the air as we passed. It was really funny. Guess you probably had to be there to get full value. Adventures in snafflehound land!

[ 09-11-2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: TimL ]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by TimL:

quote:

quote:

Not much to recommend, unless you like large talus fields, shitty, wet, loose exposed approach gullies and loose, crappy rock all the way to the top of the climb.

What's no to like about that? This is cascadeclimbers.com and that sure sounds like the Cascades to me.

Thats what I thought as well. And what a great experience it was!
[Eek!]
I think the approach gulley would be fun in early season but it was a bit sketcky yesterday. Great views of all the surrounding peaks. I bet there are plenty of great winter climbs in that area. I think the best part of the trip is driving out on the mountain loop highway and seeing a rabbit in the middle of the road jump vertically 3 feet in the air as we passed. It was really funny. Guess you probably had to be there to get full value. Adventures in snafflehound land!

Ah, how quickly the memories fade... [Eek!]

quote:

quote:

I personally liked the diversity of the adventure: long drive (I'm in Portland), followed by car bivvy, followed by alpine bike ride, followed by lovely hike, talus scramble, sketchy approach and crappy weather for the actual climb.

Yup, its the cascades all right

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

quote:

quote:

I personally liked the diversity of the adventure: long drive (I'm in Portland), followed by car bivvy, followed by alpine bike ride, followed by lovely hike, talus scramble, sketchy approach and crappy weather for the actual climb.

Yup, its the cascades all right

Wow. You drove from PDX for that? Sounds like a rationalization to me... just kidding. [laf]

Yes it's the Cascades, yes, it was an alpine adventure, the whole package was kinda cool, yes I'm glad I did it, but I'm of the opinion that there are much better climbs out there. Like the Tooth, Cavey's favorite.

quote:

Wow. You drove from PDX for that? Sounds like a rationalization to me... just kidding.
[laf]

Yes it's the Cascades, yes, it was an alpine adventure, the whole package was kinda cool, yes I'm glad I did it, but I'm of the opinion that there are much better climbs out there. Like the Tooth, Cavey's favorite.[/QB]

You've never climbed alpine "rock" in Oregon have you? You'll note that no where did I say there was no better climbs out there, just that I enjoyed this one. Hell, I plan on doing it again someday. Of course, YMMV.

.[/QB]

You've never climbed alpine "rock" in Oregon have you? You'll note that no where did I say there was no better climbs out there, just that I enjoyed this one. Hell, I plan on doing it again someday. Of course, YMMV.[/QB]

Actually, I've climbed Broken Top, North/Middle Sisters and Mt. Washington. You're right- the rock on E. Wilman's was much better. [Eek!] I'd forgotten what true choss is...

I think it would be much better in early season- the steep snow and coulior would add greatly to its appeal.