Trip Ideas

dave10

I'll be in the Cascades for a week starting August 30, and as of now, without any partners. I'm looking for some ideas on where to go as this is my first trip to the Cascades. And as a solo trip, would like to limit myself to 3rd-4th class scrambling, moderate snow slopes of 30-40 degrees, moderate exposure and no glacier travel. Would like to spend 5-6 days in either one or two locations. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington Pass:

Silverstar Mountain via Burgundy Col

Black Peak via S Ridge

Cascade Pass:

Sahalee Peak

Eldorado Peak (very easy glacier travel - I have never roped up)

Stuart Range/Enchantments:

Mt Stuart via Cascadian Couloir

Dragontail

Little Annapurna

Mt Baker Hwy:

Ruth Mt (very easy glacier travel - I have never roped up)

Icy Peak (very easy glacier travel - I have never roped up)

Dave,

First, check the weather forecast.

The Chelan/Sawtooth and Pasayten Wilderness areas tend to have better weather in general, but particularly when we get wetter SW flows, meet your criteria, and have extensive trail systems that allow loops or a point to point. There won't be a lot of snow that time of year.

In the Chelan/Sawtooth, my personal favorite is the Oval, Star Peak area.

In the Pasayten, consider checking out the Osceola, Carru, and Lago area.

Another area you might consider that is also on the dryer/less glaciated side is The Mt. Maude, Fernow, 7 Fingered Jack area, which can be extended to include Cloudy, Sitting Bull, etc if you like.

There are more, of course, but that'll give you something to bite into for starters.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Along the lines of what Tvash suggested, you might check whether the weather forecast appears better north or south immediately before your trip. You could make a decent trip out of Mt. Adams and the Goat Rocks area if the weather forecast suggests the south would be better than the north. These will involve a higher rubble-to-rock ratio than the more classic peaks on Dan's list, though.