Nerve Damage?

marc_leclerc

So today I was leading a semi-hard crack climb. I reached up past a roof really far and got a bomber, thumb up, fingerlock for my right hand in a constriction. I hung from the lock above the roof with pretty much all of my weight on the lock while I placed a cam and suddenly my pinkie finger started to feel like it was covered in warm water. I assumed it had slipped and I was bleeding badly but after I placed the gear moved up and took my fingers out there was no blood and my pinkie was shooting pins and needles like crazy. Anyhow, I finished the lead, got the red point but now, 8 hours later, my pinkie is still tingling and I can hardly feel anything with it. I'm not sure if I really damaged a nerve hanging entirely from my one fingerlock... have any of you guys done samething similar and how long should I expect to wait before the feeling returns to my finger???

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You've most likely given yourself neurapraxia via crush injury. meaning you have damaged the myelin that surrounds your nerve, but your actual nerve is intact. The reason I'm guessing this is because you say its tingly and you can hardly feel anything, meaning you can still feel something, meaning your nerve fibers are intact. average healing time 4-6 weeks. here: read, then definitely make your own decision as to whether or not you feel like seeing a doctor.

http://www.medstudents.com.br/neuroc/neuroc4.htm